Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
09 December 2023 Venue Boundary Park Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Oldham Athletic
3 - 3
(Pens 4 - 2) FT
Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Lineup will be displayed here shortly before the game

Advertisement block

Match Reports

Latics 3-3 Mickleover (4-2 on Penalties)

9 December 2023

Latics progressed to the Fourth Round of the FA Trophy following a thrilling 3-3 draw and penalty shootout at Boundary Park.

Fondop opened the scoring with a powerful header from inside the box, before Mickleover equalised just before the break when Greaves’ chipped effort went in off the post.

Substitute Kurt Willoughby opened his account for Latics with a powerful effort from close range, before Beavon equalised again for Sports.

After taking the lead for the third time immediately after, the visitors equalised with seven to play, but Mat Hudson’s two saves in the shootout sent Latics through.

Mickleover gave a good account of themselves in the opening minutes, but it was Latics who struck first, when Kitching picked out Fondop with a superb cross, before he nodded it past the goalie.

Latics had the chance to make it two on the half-hour mark, the ball was played over the top for Fondop, who held it up and layed it off for Norwood, whose shot was excellently blocked by the defender.

That nearly came back to bite Latics a few moments later, when two good chances for the visitors were thwarted by Kitching.

Oli Greaves’ chipped shot beat Hudson, sneaking into the goal via the post, leaving the game all-square going into the break.

Devarn Green suffered an injury just before the Sports equaliser, and had to be replaced with two minutes to go, with Shaun Hobson coming on in his place.

Micky made his first tactical change of the game, as Kurt Willoughby came on in place of Mike Fondop.

Kurt had an instant impact, giving Athletic the lead again with his powerful shot finding the far corner.

Mickleover didn’t lie down though, and kept at it, getting their rewards when Stuart Beavon found the net from a tight angle.

Scores weren’t level for long though, as less than 60 seconds after the restart, Hallam Hope equalised from inside the area.

With the game seemingly going in Latics’ favour, Beavon got his second of the game, and Mickleover’s third, taking the tie to penalties.

Latics scored their first three, and Mickleover scored their first two, before Hudson saved Dales’ kick, and then Atkinson’s, to take Oldham through to the fourth round.

Oldham: Hudson, Kitching, Hogan, Fondop (Willoughby, 45’), Sheron, Green (Hobson, 43’), Raglan, McGahey, Gardner (Dickenson, 67’), Hope, Norwood.

Subs not used: Norman, Shelton, Sutton, Freeman.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account