Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Latics undone by old boys

13 August 2012

Johnson, O'Grady secure Wednesday win

Latics were undone by former players Jermaine Johnson and Chris O'Grady as they made a first-round exit against Sheffield Wednesday in the Capital One Cup.

The former players scored the first three of Wednesday's four goals as staged a stirring second-half recovery having been 2-0 down at the interval.

Latics, 2-0 ahead at the break through goals from Jordan Slew and Jean-Yves M'voto, came within a whisker of adding a third goal.

Lee Croft (pictured) got on the end of a left-wing cross from Jonathan Grounds only to see keeper Chris Kirkland make a blinding save at the far post to keep out the effort.

What could have been 3-0 suddenly became 2-1 not long after in the 53rd minute when a 25-yard speculative shot from former Latics' player Jermaine Johnson crept under the body of diving keeper Alex Cisak.

Latics were unlucky not to restore a two-goal advantage when a fierce shot from James Wesolowski was superbly saved low by Kirkland.

Wednesday equalised in the 62nd minute after Dean Furman was booked for a foul.

From Miguel Llera's free kick to the far post Chris O'Grady, another former Latics' player, headed back across the face of goal into the far corner of the net.

And it got worse for Latics when when they conceded a third goal in the 80th minute.

Nejc Pecnik, who missed a first-half penalty, set up O'Grady who produced a superb near-post turn before firing low to the left of Cisak for his second goal of the game having been introduced as a first-half substitute for the injured Gary Madine.

Cisak then pulled off a good save to deny Michail Antonio while Pecnik curled another effort narrowly wide as Wednesday could have added to their total.

Latics made their first change in the 75th minute when Connor Hughes replaced Youssouf M'Chanagama and soon followed a second switch as striker Matt Smith came on for Cliff Byrne.

Antonio rounded off a disappointing second half when he fired in Wednesday's fourth goal with four minutes left.

Smith had a great chance to score a third goal for Latics in stoppage time, but headed wide from eight yards.

Full-time: Latics 2, Sheff Wed 4.

Advertisement block