Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

First-half report

22 December 2012

Latics fail to build on dream start

Latics failed to build on a dream start to their npower League One match at Yeovil Town. 

Jose Baxter put Latics ahead in the third minute, but Yeovil hit back with two goals in a five-minute spell from Gavin Williams to take charge after an entertaining opening period.

Latics could not have wished for a better opening as they took the lead inside three minutes. 

Right-back Reece Wabara made an overlapping run and provided the cross for Baxter (pictured) to score with a looping header from 10 yards. 

And it could easily been 2-0 in the sixth minute when Cristian Montano's shot cleared the crossbar by inches. 

Yeovil's best early chance fell to Ed Upson whose deflected long-range shot looped just over the crossbar. 

That was soon followed by a glanced header from James Hayter which flew narrowly wide of an upright. 

Latics had a massive let off just short of the half hour when Yeovil had a goal ruled out for offside after Paddy Madden stole in at the far post to convert a free kick from the left. 

Yeovil equalised in the 38th minute through a penalty from Williams. 

Latics had produced a heroic piece of defending to keep Yeovil at bay when substitute Dominic Blizzard latched on to the loose ball only to be tripped by Jean-Yves M'voto. 

Williams stepped forward to confidently strike home the spot kick hard and low to the right of keeper Dean Bouzanis who guessed correctly which way to dive. 

Latics came close to regaining the lead when Matt Smith met Dean Furman's left-wing cross only for Glovers' keeper Marek Stech to make a flying save to his left. 

Yeovil went ahead in the 44th minute when Williams found the net with a screamer, a 30-yard drive into the top corner. 

Latics came within a whisker of making it 2-2 when Baxter curled a shot which was bound for the top corner, but Stech pulled off a brilliant save to fingertip the ball to safety. 

Yeovil almost added a third goal in stoppage time when Madden broke away on the right and crossed for Hayter whose shot was brilliantly saved by Bouzanis. 

The rebound fell to Upson, but his shot was cleared off the line by Jonathan Grounds. 

Half-time: Yeovil 2, Latics 1. 

Advertisement block