Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Second-half report

3 November 2012

Latics' cup success

Second-half goals from Cristian Montano and Jose Baxter secured Latics a place in the second round of the FA Cup with Budweiser.

Latics overcame spirited non-league side Kidderminster Harriers in a stirring cup tie at Aggborough.

Montana (pictured) made the all-important breakthrough soon after the restart while Baxter's sixth goal of the campaign sealed victory.

The only dampener was the loss of defender Cliff Byrne who left the field on a stretcher with what appeared a serious rib injury.

Kidderminster had two chances in quick succession at the start of the second period to snatch the lead.

Keeper Dean Bouzanis pulled off a terrific save to turn over an Anthony Malbon header.

Then from the resulting corner, Josh Gowling's header flashed just wide of the upright.

Latics survived and took a 52nd minute lead.

Baxter threaded a delightful pass into the path of Montano who burst through the Kidderminster defence to shoot high to the right of keeper Nathan Vaughan.

Latics lost Byrne just short of the hour after he was involved in a collision with Bouzanis.

There was a lengthy stoppage before Byrne was taken from the field on a stretcher with a rib injury.

He was replaced by Connor Brown who stepped in at right back as Reece Wabara switched to the centre of defence.

The change didn't disrupt Latics who doubled their advantage midway through the half.

Latics won a free kick on the left and Baxter whipped in a shot which beat Vaughan low at his near post.

Kidderminster were intent on going down fighting as Ryan Rowe had a shot deflected narrowly wide while substitute Marvin Johnson twice went close.

They laid siege to Latics' goal as a number of shots were either blocked or deflected as they lived dangerously.

Latics made a second change in the 84th minute when Dean Furman replaced Montano with the idea of steadying the ship.

And in the seven minutes of stoppage time, Latics were lucky not to concede a penalty after what appeared a clear handball by Brown.

Latics made their third change in stoppage time when Croft was replaced by Chris Sutherland.

Full-time: Kidderminster 0, Latics 2

Advertisement block