Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Second-half report

20 November 2012

Jose Baxter's double earned Latics a much-needed npower League One victory against Hartlepool United.

The striker struck a dramatic injury-time winner, his eighth goal of the campaign, as Latics ended their disappointing run of results.

Baxter had given Latics a first-half lead only for Antony Sweeney to equalise for Pools midway through the second period to set up an exciting finish.

Latics had Lee Croft booked soon after the restart following a series of niggly fouls. It was his fourth yellow of the campaign as he, too, is now walking a disciplinary tightrope.

There was a let off moments later when centre-back Peter Hartley's header from inside the six-yard box, from Jonathan Franks's corner flew narrowly wide.

Latics made their first change just short of the hour mark when Cristian Montano was replaced by Youssouf M'Changama.

Dean Bouzanis came to Latics' rescue in the 63rd minute with a great save to keep out a shot from Franks.

Hartlepool equalised in the 64th minute when Franks' long-range shot was well parried by Bouzanis, but Sweeney fired the loose ball into the roof of the net.

Suddenly Latics found themselves on the back foot as Steve Howard headed just wide from a Sweeney cross.

Latics made a second substitution with 20 minutes left when Croft was replaced by super-sub Matt Smith (pictured).

Hartlepool were reduced to 10 men with 14 minute left when Neil Austin was sent off for a two-footed challenge on James Wesolowski.

Latics came close to regaining the lead when a terrific drive from M'Changama flew just wide of the upright.

Paul Dickov made his last change with five minutes left when youngster Chris Sutherland came on for James Wesolowski.

A long-range shot from Andy Monkhouse troubled Bouzanis who scrambled the ball round the post for a corner.

M'Changama thought he had won the game for Latics in the 88th minute when his header from a Reece Wabara cross struck the upright.

Latics came up with a matchwinner in the second of five minutes of injury time.

M'Changama's cross from the right was handled by Jack Baldwin and referee Craig Pawson pointed to the spot.

Baxter's spot kick was brilliantly saved by keeper Scott Flinders low to his right but, as the ball ran free, Baxter fired in the loose ball.

Baxter's memorable night was soured in the sixth added minute when he was booked for kicking the ball away.

It was his fifth booking so he, too, misses Saturday's home game against Shrewsbury.

Full-time: Hartlepool 1, Latics 2.

Advertisement block