Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Second-half report

23 October 2012

Latics' unbeaten run ends

Latics failed to stretch their unbeaten run in npower League One to five matches following a 3-1 defeat at Carlisle United.

It was a disappointing night for Latics at Brunton Park where they conceded all three goals in the second period.

Joe Garner scored twice for the Cumbrians while Matty Robson also hit the target. Jose Baxter (pictured) scored a late consolation effort for Latics. 

Latics made a change at the restart as Matt Smith replaced Matt Derbyshire.

Liam Noble had an early chance for Carlisle, but shot straight at keeper Dean Bouzanis.

Latics had a let off when Bouzanis failed to catch a free kick from James Berrett and Noble's goalbound shot was superbly blocked by Cliff Byrne.

It proved only a temporary reprieve as moments later Carlisle took a 57th minute lead.

Noble was the creator with a cross from the by-line which Garner headed in at the far post.

Latics made their second change with 22 minutes left when 17-year-old Chris Sutherland came on for Cristian Montano.

The task facing Latics  became even more mountainous when Carlisle doubled their lead.

Matt Robson delivered a delicious cross from the left and Garner rose at the far post to head home his second goal of the game.

Moments later Paul Dickov made his last change as striker Robbie Simpson replaced defender Byrne as Latics went with three at the back as they chased a way back into the game.

Latics were desperately unlucky not to half the deficit when a terrific drive from Baxter crashed against the upright with keeper Mark Gillespie well beaten.

And worse was to come for Latics with eight minutes left when Latics conceded a third goal.

Latics were caught out when Berrett crossed from the left and Robson, lurking at the far post, fired high into the roof of the net.

There was a slender lifeline for Latics when they were awarded an 84th minute penalty when Matt Smith was fouled and Baxter scored from the spot with a cheeky chip.

Full-time: Carlisle United 3, Latics 1.

Advertisement block