Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Second-half report

6 April 2013

Brave fightback too late for Latics

Latics wasted a great chance to pull further clear of danger in npower League One after losing at home to Carlisle United.

They slipped to an 11th home league loss of the campaign, and the first of Lee Johnson's tenure as Latics' manager, after conceding first-half goals from Liam Noble and Jordan Mustoe.

And despite a much-improved showing in the second period, Latics just failed to complete a great escape.

Jose Baxter halved the deficit with his 15th goal of the season and visiting keeper Mark Gillespie saved the Cumbrians with two brilliant saves late in the game.

Johnson was clearly unhappy with the first-half showing as he made a triple substitution at the break.

Lee Barnard, Robbie Simpson and Connor Brown were replaced by Matt Smith, Kirk Millar and David Mellor.

The changes livened Latics as Millar was a danger every time he was in possession while Smith won everything aerially and also help link up play.

Latics came within a whisker of halving the deficit when Korey Smith crossed from the right for Matt Smith whose header was kicked off the line by Peter Murphy.

They went close again when Millar lobbed keeper Mark Gillespie, but Mustoe cleared off the line.

Millar then blazed over when well placed as he met a right-wing cross from James Wesolowski.

Latics eventually found the net in the 73rd minute when Carlisle conceded a penalty after a trip by Mustoe on Korey Smith who was making an overlapping run on the right.

Baxter stepped forward to confidently send Gillespie the wrong way from 12 yards.

And moments later Baxter had a great chance to equalise, but shot straight at Gillespie.

Latics ought to have made it 2-2 with 10 minutes left when Baxter's brilliant through ball released Matt Smith who charged clear only for Gillespie to make a brilliant block.

Gillespie was in the thick of the action dropping a cross from Millar only to redeem himself with a brave block to deny Baxter.

Latics would have drawn level in the 88th minute but for a superb save by Gillespie to deny Bobby Reid who was put clean through by Baxter's delightful through ball.

Full-time: Latics 1, Carlisle United 2. 

Advertisement block