Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Latics are giantkillers

27 January 2013

Liverpool beaten at Boundary Park


Latics became FA Cup with Budweiser giantkillers following a never-to-be-forgotten 3-2 victory against Liverpool at Boundary Park.

It was a day to remember for Latics who beat a Liverpool side containing most of their big guns.

Matt Smith (pictured), who was playing non-league football little over 18 months ago, scored Latics’ first two goals while Reece Wabara also found the net.

Luis Suarez and Joe Allen replied for Liverpool.

Latics took a third-minute lead when Smith headed home a Youssouf M’Changama cross despite the best efforts of Martin Skrtel to clear the ball off the line.

They were forced to make a 10th minute substitution when M’Changama limped off after a challenge by Raheem Sterling to be replaced by Carl Winchester.

Liverpool equalised in the 17th minute when Suarez played the ball off Cliff Byrne before bursting into the box to score with a low shot past Dean Bouzanis.

Latics had claims for a penalty turned down with an appeal for handball against Sebastian Coates.

Liverpool made a goal disallowed midway through the half when Suarez had strayed offside as he glanced a header from Jordan Henderson’s free kick past Bouzanis.

Robbie Simpson and Jose Baxter both went close for Latics before there was further drama in stoppage time.

Smith’s header from Baxter’s free kick was superbly turned over the crossbar by Jones.

Then in the third minute of added time came a second goal from Smith.

Wabara’s low cross was fumbled by Jones, Lee Croft square the ball across the face of goal for Smith to score with a simple tap in.

Half-time:  Latics 2, Liverpool 1.

Fabio Borini skied a chance to draw Liverpool level soon after the restart.

There was further joy for Latics, though, when they added a third goal in the 48th minute.

Winchester crossed from the left to the far post and Wabara headed back across the face of goal into the far corner.

There could conceivably have been a fourth goal as Jean-Yves M’voto headed narrowly wide from Baxter’s free kick.

Liverpool brought on Steven Gerrard, Stewart Downing and Jonjo Shelvey as they looked for a way back into the game.

Baxter and Simpson both shot narrowly wide as Latics remained a threat.

Liverpool started to apply pressure as Shelvey and Downing had chances before they reduced the deficit to 3-2 in the 79th minute.

Downing’s corner was headed out and Allen volleyed home from outside the penalty area.

Smith was taken from the field on a stretcher after a clash of heads to be replaced by David Mellor.

Allen had a shot which flew narrowly wide after taking a wicked deflection then in the 90th minute a fierce drive from Gerrard crashed against the crossbar.

Full-time: Latics 3, Liverpool 2. 

Advertisement block