Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Second-half report

19 January 2013

Latics lose to last-gasp goal

Unlucky Latics lost to a 94th minute goal from James Bailey as they were beaten 2-1 at Coventry City in npower League One.

It was cruel on Paul Dickov's side which had fought back after falling behind to a goal from Stephen Elliott.

Matt Smith (pictured) headed an 89th minute equaliser for Latics who looked set to leave the Ricoh Arena with a point until Bailey's late intervention.

After a goalless opening period, Coventry put a couple of dangerous crosses into Latics' penalty area but nobody was able to get on the end of them as they flashed across the face of goal.

Latics have a great chance to take the lead in the 51st minute when Robbie Simpson burst clear, but keeper Joe Murphy sprinted from his line to save bravely at his feet.

Simpson, who was returning to his former club, had another great effort not long afterwards as a 25-yard shot swerved just wide of the upright with Murphy beaten.

Latics had Jean-Yves M'voto booked for bringing down Leon Clarke as he burst through on goal. And from the resulting free kick, Gary McSheffrey's 25-yard shot flew just wide of the upright.

The breakthrough came just after the hour mark when Latics allowed a left-wing cross from McSheffrey to bounce inside the six-yard box.

It enabled Elliott a simple headed goal past keeper Dean Bouzanis.

Latics made their first substitution midway through the second period when Daniel Taylor came on for Simpson.

Taylor had a great chance to equalise within three minutes of his entrance as he broke away on the left. He burst into the box only to be denied by a super save from Murphy.

It was then the turn of Bouzanis to excel with a brilliant save to claw out a header from Leon Clarke with Coventry claiming the ball had crossed the line.

Latics made their final two changes with 12 minutes left when Connor Brown and Chris Sutherland replaced David Mellor and Lee Croft.

Murphy was forced to make a diving save to keep out a shot from Jose Baxter while at the other end Bouzanis tipped over a header from Richard Wood.

Latics were finally rewarded for their efforts in the 89th minute when Smith towered at the far post to head home a left-wing corner from Baxter.

Sutherland had a chance to give Latics the lead in stoppage time, but Murphy saved yet again. 

There was further drama in the fourth and final minute of stoppage time when a poor headed clearance by Cliff Byrne fell to Bailey on the edge of the box and he lashed s shot high into the roof of the net.

Full-time: Coventry City 2, Latics 1.

Advertisement block