Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Stay and be our main man

10 January 2013

Dickov's message to Baxter

Paul Dickov has promised Jose Baxter he will remain Latics' main man if he stays at Boundary Park.

Latics' manager will be using his persuasive powers in forthcoming days to tempt Baxter to extend his stay with the club.

The 20-year-old's short-term contract with Latics ends after Saturday's home npower League One match against Brentford.

Dickov admitted he has a battle on his hands with a number of npower Championship clubs showing interest, but he has not given up hope of him remaining with Latics.

He said: "Jose is sought after, but I will stress to him he is enjoying his football here.

"Jose has to take into consideration will he play week in, week out  if he leaves and whether elsewhere will he play in the position he wants to?

"The way we set up, the main emphasis is on Jose getting the ball. And he needs to play in a team where he is the main man as will be the case here."

Latics' manager added Baxter would benefit in the long term by remaining at Boundary Park for the remainder of the campaign.

He continued: "There is a massive difference between playing 20/25 games and signing somebody who has played 50/60 games.

"As a manager, a lot of the time I would go for the one who has played 50/60 games because of the experience under his belt. That is the decision Jose must make."

Dickov has also not given up bringing back Matt Derbyshire and Reece Wabara for further loan spells.

Derbyshire, according to Latics' manager, has been told he can leave Nottingham Forest.

He said: "Matt has a couple of offers for a permanent move, but nothing concrete at the moment.

"If he goes out on loan again, he has told me he would like to come back to us."

Dickov is also in talks with Manchester City over Wabara returning and hopes to have a decision today or tomorrow.

Latics' manager added he will be seeking decisions on all three players sooner rather than later.

Dickov added that he has been speaking to other managers and has drawn up a shortlist of players to replace those ruled out through injury, suspension or leaving the club.

He said: "Desperate as we are to keep players or get them back, we cannot hang about and wait until the last week of January.

"If we found out then they weren't staying, there is a strong possibility we would miss out on other targets and not get the players we want.

"We want answers sooner rather than later."

Advertisement block