Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Second-half report

9 March 2013

Unlucky Latics lose scrappy game

Latics were unlucky to leave Birkenhead empty handed following their 1-0 defeat at promotion-chasing Tranmere Rovers.

Max Power produced a flash of brilliance to decide a scrappy game at Prenton Park.

Fortune didn't smile kindly on Latics who had a shout for a first-half penalty turned down while Jose Baxter (pictured) struck the woodwork in the second period.

After a goalless opening period, the start to the second was equally uninspiring as each side continued to nullify the other. 

Latics' Caretaker Manager Tony Philliskirk made his first change just short of the hour when Robbie Simpson came on for Matt Smith.

A spark of genius was needed to make a breakthrough and that came from Tranmere's Power in the 61st minute.

Power cut in from the left and drilled a show low to the right of keeper Dean Bouzanis for his fourth goal of the season.

Latics came close to equalising when James Wesolowski's shot from the edge of the box was turned round the post for a corner by keeper Owain Fon Williams.

Philliskirk made his second change with 21 minutes left when Jordan Obita was replaced by Kirk Millar as Lee Croft switched from the right to left wing to accommodate the Irishman.

Latics were desperately unlucky not to be on level terms in the 73rd minute when Jose Baxter's free kick from almost 30 yards out struck the underside of the crossbar, bounced down on to the line and was scrambled to safety.

Tranmere had a chance to extend their lead, but Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro shot straight at Bouzanis.

Latics made their last change in the 86th minute when Wesolowski came off after sustaining a cut to his head and he was replaced by Dean Furman.

Jean-Yves M'voto made a charge out of defence and tried an audacious shot from 45 yards which was parried by keeper Fon Williams.

Both sides had chances in the five minutes of added time.

Simpson's header from a Connor Brown cross flashed just over the crossbar.

Bouzanis then saved the day for Latics parrying a shot from Cole Stockton and then blocking Liam Palmer's follow-up effort.

Full-time: Tranmere 1, Latics 0.


Advertisement block