Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

First-half report

29 October 2013

Rooney draws Latics level

Adam Rooney scored for Latics on the stroke of half-time to make it 1-1 in their rearranged Sky Bet League 1 match at Notts County.

Latics were outplayed for much of the opening period and fell behind to a Danny Haynes goal before Rooney struck with his fifth goal of the season. 

Latics created the first chance of the night, but Rooney's weak shot was easily saved by keeper Bartosz Bialkowski.

County then went close as a header from Haynes flashed just wide of the upright following a free kick.

Haynes then had another shot, but this time it was deflected for a corner.

And from Greg Tempest's kick, the dangerous Haynes found the net with a near-post header into the roof of the net to give County a 21st minute lead with his fourth goal of the season.

Danny Philliskirk broke away down the right into the box and his fierce shot was blocked by a defender.

Latics were lucky not to concede a second goal soon after when Joss Labadie was left unmarked from an Alan Sheehan free kick, but saw his header fly just wide.

Johnson made his first change after 35 minutes as Kirk Millar was replaced by Jonson Clarke-Harris (pictured) as he looked for more muscle up front.

And Clarke-Harris soon had a chance firing not far wide of the far post from the left.

County were denied a second goal when Labadie burst clean through only for keeper Mark Oxley to somehow brilliantly manage to deflect his shot over the crossbar.

Latics equalised in the 45th minute when Korey Smith burst forward and released James Dayton on the left and his precision cross was headed home by Rooney for his fifth goal of the season.

Keeper Bialkowski got a hand to the ball, but a referee's assistant signalled it had crossed the line before Jordan Holt made a clearance.

And Latics might have snatched the lead in stoppage time when Smith had a goalbound shot blocked. 

Half-time: Notts County 1, Latics 1.

Advertisement block