Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Second-half report

8 October 2013

Latics one step nearer Wembley

Latics moved into the northern area quarter finals of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy following an excellent 2-0 victory at Preston North End.

Backed by an enthusiastic 827 following at Deepdale, Latics triumphed thanks to goals from Danny Philliskirk and James Wesolowski (pictured) in the opening nine minutes of the match.

It was an impressive display from Latics who lost 2-1 on the same ground in the league one month earlier as this time they turned the tables on the Lilywhites to also keep a first clean sheet of the season.

Latics, 2-0 ahead at the break, had an enforced change at the restart.

James Tarkowski, who picked up a knock late in the opening period, was replaced by David Mellor in the centre of defence.

Preston also made two changes including the introduction of striker Stuart Beavon as they looked for a way back into the tie.

Latics were rarely troubled, though a miss kick by Jonathan Grounds caused momentary panic as Joe Garner looked set to seize on the error only for the defence to shut down the striker and clear the danger.

Beavon had a chance midway through the half but could only direct his header on the run straight to keeper Paul Rachubka.

Latics had a massive let off in the 68th minute when Rachubka failed to gather a corner.

Tom Clarke's header was looping into the net until Joseph Mills made an important headed clearance off the goalline.

Latics made a second substitution in the 74th minute as Genseric Kusunga was treading a fine line after being booked so he was replaced by Glenn Belezika.

Preston had a great chance to halve the deficit with eight minutes left when Garner produced a great turn in the box only to crash his shot narrowly wide from 12 yards.

Latics lost a second defender through injury late on when Mills limped off as Cristian Montano became an emergency left back.

Garner had another chance but pulled his angled shot wide of the far post.

Preston were finishing the game strongly as Scott Laird broke on the left and cut into the box only to see his weak shot easily saved by Rachubka.

Garner had yet another chance which he created for himself only to roll his shot narrowly wide from the edge of the box.

Full-time: Preston North End 0, Latics 2.

Advertisement block