Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Second-half report

26 October 2013

Philliskirk grabs late winner

Danny Philliskirk scored a late match-winning goal for Latics in their home Sky Bet League 1 match against Swindon Town.

The striker (pictured) found the net with 13 minutes left after an action packed second half as Latics made it back to back home wins.

Latics took the lead in the opening period through Carl Winchester, but Swindon equalised not long after the restart through an unlucky own goal from James Tarkowski.

Swindon had a chance to equalise soon after the restart but Alex Pritchard's drive from 25 yards was kept out by a diving save from Mark Oxley.

Latics had a major let off moments later when Oxley fumbled a low cross from Jack Barthram, but Tarkowski cleared the danger after a goalmouth scramble.

It was a case of third time lucky for Swindon who levelled the scores in the 56th minute through an unlucky own goal from Tarkowski.

Latics' defender slid in to intercept a low cross into the box by Nathan Thompson, but only succeeded in slicing the ball which looped over the head of Oxley into the net.

Jonson Clarke-Harris replaced Kirk Millar just after the hour as Latics looked for new attacking ideas.

Latics had a chance when a shot from James Wesolowski rebounded off Wes Foderingham who grabbed the ball at the second attempt as Adam Rooney raced in.

Swindon came within a whisker of taking the lead midway through the half when a shot from Ryan Mason flew just wide of the upright.

Clarke-Harris then jinked his way clear and looked certain to score from eight yards, but pulled his shot wide with only Foderingham to beat.

Latics made their second switch with 15 minutes left as James Dayton made way for Sidney Schmeltz.

Winchester was denied a second goal of the game by a good save from Foderingham.

Latics regained the lead in the 77th minute when Philliskirk found the net with a far post diving header from a left-wing cross by Jonathan Grounds.

They could have added a third goal late on when Schmeltz fired into the side netting when free at the far post as he ran in to meet Adam Rooney's looping cross.

There was a let off for Latics in stoppage time when Danny N'Guessan's goalbound effort was blocked in a crowded goalmouth.

Schmeltz ought to have made it 3-1 as Swindon sent Foderingham upfield to join the attack.

Latics broke and Schmeltz shot towards and empty goal from half way, but too weakly as Jack Barthram raced back to clear the danger.

Full-time: Latics 2, Swindon Town 1.

Advertisement block