Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

First-half report

3 September 2013

Dream start for Philliskirk

New-boy Danny Philliskirk enjoyed a dream debut for Latics in their Johnstone's Paint Trophy tie at Shrewsbury Town.

The striker scored twice in the opening 26 minutes to put Latics in a commanding position to reach the second round of the northern section.

Adam Rooney also found the net to make it 3-0 before Graham Burke pulled a goal back for the Shrews on the stroke of half time to hand themselves a lifeline.

Shrewsbury suffered an early blow when captain and centre-back Tamika Mkandawire limped off after less than four minutes with a hamstring strain as they were forced to rejig their defence.

Latics took the lead in the ninth minute through Philliskirk.

Left-back Joseph Mills broke forward and cut in before seeing his deflected shot saved by the legs of keeper Joe Anyon.

The loose ball was played back in to Philliskirk on the edge of the box and he curled in a delightful shot low to the left of Anyon.

Latics had a great chance to double their lead  in the 21st minute when Rooney was fouled on the edge of the box by substitute Darren Jones.

Mills struck the subsequent free kick which forced a brilliant save from Anyon diving low to his right.

Latics had an almighty let off in the 25th minute following a wayward back pass from Anton Rodgers.

Curtis Main, the debut-making striker from Middlesbrough, was clean through only to be denied by a brilliant block by keeper Mark Oxley.

Latics made the most of the reprieve as they made it 2-0 moments later as Philliskirk struck again.

Mills fired over a low cross from the left to the far post and Philliskirk's scruffy shot across the face of goal found the net.

Philliskirk had a chance to complete a hat trick inside the opening half hour when his overhead kick from a couple of yards flew over the crossbar as he stretched to reach a right-wing cross from Albert Rusnak.

Oxley came to Latics' rescue again denying Jon Taylor with a fine save after the winger cut in from the left before unleashing a terrific shot.

It got even better for Latics  who added a third goal in the 42nd minute.

Italian right-back Matteo Lanzoni made an overlapping run and his pinpoint cross was headed home at the near post by Rooney.

Oxley pulled off another superb save to keep out a close-range shot from Connor Goldson before he was finally beaten.

Burke, the striker who is on loan from Aston Villa, unleashed an unstoppable drive from 25 yards which arrowed into the roof of the net.

The Shrews would have added a second goal in stoppage time but for a goalline clearance from Rodgers to keep out a header from Goldson.

Half-time: Shrewsbury Town 1, Latics 3.

Advertisement block