Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

First-half report

9 September 2013

Daylight robbery at Deepdale

Latics must have felt it was like daylight robbery after finding themselves 2-0 down at half time in their Sky Bet League 1 match at Preston North End.

They dominated the opening period only to concede two disappointing goals.

Latics had 11 goal attempts to Preston's three, had a corner count 8-1 in their favour while they dominated possession 64-per-cent to 36-per-cent.

Yet they fell behind to a deflected free kick which was credited to Stuart Beavon and conceded a penalty late in the half which Kevin Davies converted.

Latics had the first goal attempt when a shot from Sidney Schmeltz was deflected for a corner.

Dutchman Schmeltz (pictured) was then penalised just outside the penalty area for a raised foot trying to make a clearance.

Joel Byrom's free kick took a deflection off striker Beavon who was positioned in the defensive wall and it completely wrong-footed keeper Mark Oxley who could only watch the ball whizz past him into the net.

Latics pressed for an equaliser and overlapping left-back Joseph Mills saw a drive fly wide while Adam Rooney fired over the crossbar from 25 yards.

Danny Philliskirk's inch-perfect pass released Schmeltz whose shot brought an excellent diving save from keeper Declan Rudd.

Rudd was quickly called into action again to athletically tip over an in-swinging corner from Mills.

Latics came within a whisker of equalising in the 26th minute from Scheltz's corner. James Tarkowski's header was well saved low down by Rudd while Philliskirk's follow-up shot was cleared off the line by Scott Laird.

Disaster struck again for Latics in the 38th minute when they conceded a penalty for a shove by James Wesolowski on Davies who was running away from goal near the byline.

The spot kick was awarded by the referee's assistant who was well positioned to spot the offence.

Davies stepped forward to smash home from the penalty which went in off the underside of the crossbar.

Half-time: Preston North End 2, Latics 0.


Advertisement block