Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Doncaster Rovers v Oldham Athletic

30 August 2014

First Win For Latics

Goals from Jonson Clarke-Harris and a Jonathan Forte penalty grabbed Latics their first win of this season's League One campaign.

Clarke-Harris struck in the fourth minute of the game to send Latics on their way and a second half penalty from Forte sealed victory in what was an impressive display.

Latics started perfectly, opening the scoring on four minutes through Clarke-Harris. Mike Jones' inswinging corner was not dealt with in the Rovers box and the striker swept home his first goal of the season to give the visitors the lead.

Only minutes later, Latics almost doubled their lead. Jonathan Forte found space on the left and fired at goal but his deflected shot was tipped over by Doncaster goalkeeper Jed Steer.

The home side started to come back into the game with former Latics midfielder Dean Furman causing a real threat for Doncaster.

Another former Oldham Athletic player, Reece Wabara, managed to break the offside trap mid way through the first half but could only fire wide of Paul Rachubka's goal.

Rovers started to put pressure on Rachubka's goal after the half hour mark, going close on two occasions. Furman and top scorer Kyle Bennett both had strikes from the edge of the box but were unable to get their shots on target.

Just before the break, Latics won a free kick in a similar position to where Clarke-Harris opened the scoring but the ball just eluded the striker.

The second half started quietly with both sides feeling their way back into the game.

The home side made a treble substitution to get back into the game but only a minutes after the change, they were punished by Latics.

Philliskirk chased onto a through ball and was fouled in the area by Doncaster defender Rob Jones.

Forte stepped up and gave the goalkeeper no chance by rocketting the ball into the bottom corner and giving Athletic a two-goal advantage.

The visitors started to dominate the game and goalscorer Forte had the perfect chance to notch his fifth of the season but Doncaster defender Jones came to the rescue to clear away for a corner.

From that resulting corner, Liam Kelly was presented with a free header but could not steer it on target.

With only 15 minutes of the game remaining, Winchester picked up the ball inside the area but could not keep his shot down.

This was a totally dominant display from the visitors, passing, moving and creating chance after chance.

On 85 minutes, neat passing play presented Philliskirk with a chance to put the game to bed but Steer pulled off a wonderful save to keep the score down.

With the fourth official announcing a minimum of seven additional minutes to be played, goalscorer Forte was replaced by James Dayton to the loud applause from the supporters.

Latics kept the ball in the corner giving Doncaster no chance of possession and the referee blew the full time whistle to completed a professional performance from Latics.

Doncaster Rovers: Steer, Evina, Furman (Robinson 57'), Jones, McCullough, Tyson, Keegan, De Val (Wellens 57'), Wabara, Bennett (Forrester 57'), Coppinger.

Subs not used: McCombe, Marosi, Wakefield, Peterson.

Oldham Athletic: Rachubka, Mills, Elokobi, J.Wilson, B.Wilson, Winchester, Jones, Kelly, Forte (
Dayton 90'), Philliskirk, Clarke-Harris.

Subs not used: Brown, Dieng, Coleman, Noble, Kusunga, Morgan-Smith.

Goals: Doncaster Rovers 0-1 Oldham Athletic (Clarke-Harris 4', Forte 59')

6,313 (681 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block