Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youth Team Out Of Cup

9 December 2014

Oldham Athletic youth team, sponsored by the Safeguard Group, were knocked out of the Lancashire FA Professional Youth Cup at the quarter final stage after losing 3-1 to neighbours Rochdale.

Devante Jacobs had given Latics a first half lead but three second half goals from the visitors turned the game in their favour and the defending champions were knocked out of the competition.

With the weather conditions favouring the home side int the first half, Latics took the game to their opponents.

The first opportunity of the game came on five minutes. Jordache Walters fired from inside the box but his shot was deflected onto the post and the ball ricocheted behind for a corner.

Captain Jack Tuohy was the next to go closest but his strike from 25 yards narrowly rose above the crossbar.

Their domination paid off on the half hour mark as Jacobs gave the youngsters a deserved lead.

The youngster got on the end of a wicked cross from Jamie Stott to volley home from six yards to put Latics ahead.

Danny Byrnes, who was making his return from a lengthy injury, went close to doubling their lead minutes after the goal but his curling effort was just tipped around the post.

Eddie Fulwood almost got lucky two minutes before the break as his cross exceeded everybody and rebounded off the post but away from danger.

Rochdale came out strong in the second half and started to turn the screw on the youngsters.

Ten minutes into the second period, the visitors found an equaliser. Dale captain Billy Hassle-Cregg struck from the edge of the area giving young goalkeeper Chris Renshaw no chance.

Controversy surrounded Rochdale's second goal as Callum Etches appeared to have cleared the ball off the line but the officials ruled the ball had crossed the line to the anger of every Latics player.

After the referee booked several youngsters, Rochdale finally put the game beyond doubt ten minutes from time as Nyal Bell fired home at the back post to give the visitors a 3-1 lead.

Latics had a few chances to get back into the game but the Dale defence stood resolutely and defended well.

The referee blew the full time whistle and Latics' search for a victory continues.

Advertisement block