Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Latics v Shrewsbury: Half-time Report

1 January 2014

In cold but dry conditions Latics started their 2014 calendar against Shrewsbury in need of a valuable 3 points.

In a scrappy first 5 minutes Latics put a couple of balls in but nobody tested Weale in the Shrewsbury goal. Latics where having most of the possession in the first 10 minutes but couldn’t find an end product. 

Striker Adam Rooney had a header from a corner by Korey Smith after 12 minutes which sailed comfortably over Chris Weale’s bar.

Jonathan Grounds also put a testing ball in after 15 minutes that Adam Rooney was a whisker away from meeting.

After not really testing Latics’ keeper Mark Oxley the Shrews broke the deadlock after 22 minutes. A speculative ball was put into the box which wasn’t dealt with by Connor Brown and Jon Taylor took advantage finishing comfortably from 10 yards.  

Korey Smith had a chance to level proceedings straight from the restart with a good effort and there was also a claim for handball. Latics still on top and a ball into the box by Mellor had nobody waiting to pounce. 

The Latics crowd where getting frustrated as the team where having a lot of the ball but not creating a clear cut chance. 

After a lot of hard work and having had a lot of possession Latics managed to get an equaliser. A corner was put in by Korey Smith on 35 minutes which eventually fell to the feet of defender Jonathan Grounds who finished comfortably from 10 yards. 

Latics had a very good effort from Michael Petrasso after 38 minutes as he passed Joe Jacobsen and hit the ball sweetly at Shrews keeper Chris Weale who saved well low to his right.   

Shrewsbury then had a speculative effort from midfielder David McAllister that sailed comfortably wide of Mark Oxley’s left hand post. 

With the half coming to a close Korey Smith took a 25 yard free kick that hit bar. From the resulting corner Jonson Clarke-Harris was very close to converting from 6 yards but could only find the side netting.

Latics finished the half very much on top. 

Half-time: Latics 1, Shrewsbury 1

Advertisement block