Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Latics v Wolves: Full-time Report

28 January 2014

Latics beaten by three second half goals

Three second half goals were enough to clinch the three points for the visitors as Latics weren't able to repeat their heroics of Saturday.

Latics started the second half in the same manner they ended the first, with two corners in succession, but it was the visitors who were to open the scoring on 49 minutes.

GOAL 0-1 - McDonald slamming home a right footed shot through a crowd of players after the ball had been cleared  following another swift counter attack.

It was almost two within minutes, Kusunga caught in possession gave an opening to Jacobs, Oxley coming to his rescue with a double save. The big defender being replaced minutes later by Adam Lockwood, who was making his Latics debut at the heart of defence.

The game started to become very niggly with referee Salisbury booking both Harkins and Wolves skipper Sam Ricketts. the Latics player seemingly only guilty of receiving a blow to the face as he skipped through the visiting defence. Clarke-Harris appeared to be upended in the box with no penalty given for the second time on the night.

Dayton became the third Latics player to be booked after a rash challenge from behind on Sako, after the Wolves top scorer had left him standing with a neat turn. Jacobs firing well over from the resultant free kick. Batth then went close with a free header from a corner as the visitors looked to kill the game off.

Johnson threw on his top scorer Danny Philliskirk for Charlie MacDonald as he looked for fresh legs up front. Within minutes the move almost paid off. Clarke-Harris' cross was deflected to Harkins who's shot was superbly saved by McCarey, the loose ball nicked off Philliskirk's toes by a last ditch tackle from Scott Golbourne.

Dayton missed a great chance to level for Latics, his left footed drive, after good approach play through the middle, just clearing the bar on 77 minutes. The winger replaced a minute later by Carl Winchester.

The visitors were taking every opportunity to slow the game down, Batth being the latest in a long line of Wolves players to stay down after a challenge. The Boundary Park faithful quick to show their displeasure to referee Salisbury.

GOAL 0-2 - Jacobs finished a flowing Wolves move on 88 minutes to put the game beyond Latics. Tarkowski had been guilty of not clearing his lines, his poor clearance intercepted by Dicko, who fed the ball to the right, substitute James Henry's slick cross slotted home by Jacobs.  

GOAL 0-3 - Henry then made the game safe beyond doubt as he appeared at the far post to finish off a cross-shot form Dicko.

FT: Latics 0 Wolves 3

Latics Starting XI: Oxley, Brown, Grounds, Wesolowski, Kusunga (Lockwood), Tarkowski, Smith, MacDonald (Philliskirk), Clarke-Harris, Dayton (Winchester), Harkins.

Subs: Rachubka, Mellor, Rodgers, Millar.

ATT: 4,343 (1,115)

Advertisement block