Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Latics v Wolves

28 January 2014

Latics beaten by three second half goals

Three second half goals were enough to clinch the three points for the visitors as Latics weren't able to repeat their heroics of Saturday. Wolves proving to more clinical with their chances. 

Latics went in level at the half time break after a half that the visitors had looked the more likely to open the scoring. A series of good saves from Mark Oxley and a helping of good luck from the woodwork had denied the visitors, although Latics appeared to be denied a penalty as James Wesolowski was caught in the box.

Lee Johnson was in a philosophical mood afterwards: "I wasn't too disappointed with the lads performance against a top side with several players that have played in the Premier League. Their power on the break caught us out on a few occasions, their first goal coming from that, although we did get back well, their lad has finished really well.

"It was a tough game but it wasn't really a three goal defeat. We were always in the game and matched them for endeavour, passion and chances. The difference was that they were clinical in their finishing".

Johnson had been forced into changing the team that finished the game against Peterborough United on Saturday, James Dayton coming for David Worrall who was suffering after playing his first full game in over six months. Kirk Millar taking the final spot on the bench.

Wolves started the game on the front foot Bakary Sako with a deep cross following a weak headed clearance from Saturday's last minute hero, Genserix Kusunga. Another one of the weekends stars, Gary Harkins almost finding Charlie MacDonald in reply.

On 6 minutes Scott Golbourne became the first player to be spoken to by referee Salisbury, his foul on Dayton being the latest in a series of strong challenges.

Dayton was the first to test either keeper, his shot a minute later punched clear by Aaron McCarey, after the winger had been found by a neat Korey Smith pass. Smith was then spoken to by referee Salisbury for a late challenge on Richard Stearman.

Mark Oxley was called into action on 12 minutes, the Latics keeper making a superb point blank stop to deny Nouha Dicko who had been found by a low cross from Sako. Oxley denied the same player a minute later as he drove a half volley goal wards following the first corner of the game. 

McCarey then showed he was also in the mood as he palmed away a decent effort from Jonson Clarke-Harris, following a neat build-up from Latics. Harkins having a shot blocked in the 6  yard box as Johnson's team started to press.

Wolves showed their counter attacking prowess on 20 minutes, a long ball forward from Kevin McDonald finding Sako who fired well wide. Latics earned their first corner a minute later, and again the visitors were quick to counter, Dicko again failing to test Oxley.

Danny Batth was next to try his luck for the visitors, heading well wide from a deep free kick after Connor Brown was adjudged to have fouled Michael Jacobs, the Latics full back appearing to win the ball cleanly. The game was beginning to become a stop start affair with the whistle blown with almost every challenge, much to the frustration of both sets of supporters. 

A neat break down the Latics left ended with a Dayton effort flashing wide on 36 minutes. Wolves again breaking fast, Dicko crashing a shot against Oxley's crossbar. Jacobs then seeing his long range effort clearing the Latics goal as the visitors pressed.

Oxley had to be at his best on 41 minutes, leaping to tip a long range free kick from the busy Jacobs over the bar. Wesolowski becoming the first player into referee Salisbury's book, even though to most in Boundary Park, the Latics midfielder had clearly won the ball in a 50/50 challenge with Sako. 

In a frantic finish to the half, Latics applied pressure on the Wolves defence, Wesolowski appealing for a penalty as he was tripped in the area. His side then earned two quick corners, James Tarkowski blasting an effort wide on the whistle.

HT: Latics 0 Wolves 0 

Latics started the second half in the same manner they ended the first, with two corners in succession, but it was the visitors who were to open the scoring on 49 minutes.

GOAL 0-1: McDonald slammed home a right footed shot through a crowd of players after the ball had been cleared  following another swift counter attack.

It was almost two within minutes, Kusunga caught in possession, gave an opening to Jacobs, Oxley coming to his rescue with a double save. The big defender being replaced minutes later by Adam Lockwood, who was making his Latics debut at the heart of defence.

The game started to become very niggly with referee Salisbury booking both Harkins and Wolves skipper Sam Ricketts. the Latics player seemingly only guilty of receiving a blow to the face as he skipped through the visiting defence. Clarke-Harris then appeared to be upended in the box with no penalty given for the second time on the night.

Dayton became the third Latics player to be booked after a rash challenge from behind on Sako, after the Wolves top scorer had left him standing with a neat turn. Jacobs firing well over from the resultant free kick. Batth then went close with a free header from a corner as the visitors looked to kill the game off.

Johnson threw on his top scorer Danny Philliskirk for Charlie MacDonald as he looked for fresh legs up front. Within minutes the move almost paid off. A Clarke-Harris cross was deflected to Harkins who's shot was superbly saved by McCarey, the loose ball nicked off Philliskirk's toes by a last ditch tackle from Golbourne.

Dayton missed a great chance to level for Latics, his left foot drive, after good approach play through the middle, just clearing the bar on 77 minutes. The winger was replaced a minute later by Carl Winchester.

The visitors were taking every opportunity to slow the game down, Batth being the latest in a long line of Wolves players to stay down after a challenge, with the Boundary Park faithful quick to show their displeasure to referee Salisbury.

GOAL 0-2: Jacobs finished a flowing Wolves move on 88 minutes to put the game beyond Latics. Tarkowski had been guilty of not clearing his lines, his poor clearance intercepted by Dicko, who fed the ball to the right, substitute James Henry's slick cross slotted home by Jacobs.  

GOAL 0-3: Henry then made the game safe beyond doubt in added time as he appeared at the far post to finish off a cross-shot form Dicko.

Johnson added "We have had two very physical games in three days and the lads will now need to be rested up in readiness for the visit to Swindon Town. 
We are full of high spirits after the two performances against teams chasing promotion".

FT: Latics 0 Wolves 3

Latics Starting XI: Oxley, Brown, Grounds, Wesolowski, Kusunga (Lockwood), Tarkowski, Smith, MacDonald (Philliskirk), Clarke-Harris, Dayton (Winchester), Harkins.

Unused subs: Rachubka, Mellor, Rodgers, Millar.

ATT: 4,343 (1,115)

Latics STATS:

Possession - 51%
Shots on Target - 12 
Shots off target - 3
Corners - 6
Fouls - 8
Bookings - 3 (Wesolowski, Harkins, Dayton)

Advertisement block