Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Liverpool v Latics: Half-time Report

5 January 2014

Both teams inseparable at Half Time

Latics came out the blocks at a ferocious pace and the tempo set by both teams was high. 

Aly Cissokho put the first dangerous ball into the Latics’ box after 5 minutes that was missed by all the Liverpool attacking contingent. 

Shortly after Latics attained their first corner of the match which David Mellor delivered poorly, managing to hit the nearest Liverpool defender. Immediately after Liverpool had their first real chance when they broke and Jordan Henderson shot weakly at keeper Mark Oxley.

This was shortly followed by a very good attempt from 20 yards by Luis Alberto that curled comfortably past Oxleys left hand post.

The Liverpool side where enjoying a lot more of the ball in the opening stages but where struggling to break down Latics’ rearguard. You could feel the Anfield crowd getting frustrated.

This frustration was shown to be warranted when in the 20th and 22nd minute when Steven Gerrard put in 2 dangerous corners that the Liverpool attacking contingent didn’t manage to take advantage of.  

At the half way point of the first half the Latics where still competing well and James Tarkowski and Genseric Kusunga where both showing great defensive qualities. For all of Liverpool’s possession Latics hadn’t been worried too much by the Premiership outfit.

Jordan Henderson hit a rasping drive from 20 yards after 30 minutes that was luckily straight at Mark Oxley and full back Martin Kelly hit a long range effort that didn’t bother Oxley too much. 

Latics started to enjoy a bit more of the possession and where managing to get into Liverpool’s final third, but where still struggling to really test Brad Jones.

When Liverpool did get the ball they looked dangerous but when Raheem Stirling hit a tame effort after 40 minutes you could see that Latics’ defensive set up was working well. 

Latics’ first real testing ball into the Liverpool box came from a David Mellor corner after 43 minutes that no Latics player took advantage of. 

There was only 1 added minute at the end of the first half and it finished with a good effort from Danny Philliskirk.

Advertisement block