Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Morecambe Claim Late Draw

22 July 2014

Latics continued their pre-season campaign with a 2-2 draw with Morecambe at the Globe Arena.

Adam Lockwood and Jonson Clarke-Harris twice gave Latics the lead but were pegged back by goals from Mark Hughes and Paul Mullin.

Latics started on the front foot with neat, quick passing and efforts from Winchester and Kelly had to be dealt with by the Morecambe goalkeeper.

After more positive attacking play, it was Winchester again that had a good opportunity on ten minutes, stinging the palms of the goalkeeper with a fiece shot.

Morecambe started to grow into the game but Latics always looked promising on the counter attack.

David Mellor, who was playing in a defensive role in front of the back four, found space in the centre midway through the half but his shot was too high and evaded the crossbar.

Latics' pressure paid off on the half hour mark as they took the lead. Liam Kelly's corner was prodded home at the front post by defender Lockwood for the defender's first goal of pre-season.

The Shrimps finished the half in attacking fashion as striker Jack Sampson cut the ball back to the onrushing Tom McCready but the striker could not direct his shot on target.

Joel Coleman had to be alert just after the break as McCready almost levelled the scores. Sampson fed the striker but his effort was well held by Latics' young goalkeeper.

Morecambe made wholesale changes on the hour mark and the game started to open up more.

One of those substitutions, Jamie Devitt, found space in the centre on 65 minutes but his effort drifted over Coleman's crossbar.

Clarke-Harris was introduced for Lee Johnson's men and almost doubled the lead on 70 minutes but he scuffed his shot as he beared down on goal.

The home side equalised on 79 minutes through a well worked goal by Hughes. The defender found space in the middle and nodded past Coleman to level the scores.

It did not take long for Latics to regain the lead through a stunning striker from Clarke-Harris. The striker found space and curled a shot past the goalkeeper to put the visitors in the lead for the second time in the game.

That lead was soon extinguished for a second time as a powerful strike from Mullin sealed a draw for the home side.

Advertisement block