Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Blackpool Youth 4-3 Latics Youth

24 March 2014

After coming back from three goals down, Latics cruelly lost in the finally couple of minutes to league leaders Blackpool, 4-3.

Kyle Hardman scored a goal in each half and Michael Brewster got the other just after half time but Latics unfortunately just come up short against a strong Blackpool side.

A mixture of hailstone, torrential rain and blustery winds greeted both sides as the conditions played a huge role in the game. 

With Latics kicking against the conditions, Blackpool took the lead on 22 minutes. The Latics defence didn't deal with a long ball over the top and it allowed a Blackpool striker to nip in and place a shot past the goalkeeper.

One became two, minutes later, as again, Latics' defence didn't deal with a free kick into the box and the Seasider's striker had a free header at the back post to extend their lead. 

With less than ten minutes of the first half remaining, Pool were three ahead after a striker powered a header past Joel Coleman, giving the goalkeeper no chance.

Latics hit back almost instantly as Hardman grabbed his first goal of the game. The midfielder struck from the edge of the area to reduce the arrears going into the break.

The half time interval allowed manager Tony Philliskirk to address his players and within a minute of the second half, they had pulled another goal back.

Brewster struck from the edge of the box which sneaked through a couple of players to put Latics into the ascendancy. 

They had a golden opportunity to equalise on the hour mark. A Latics player was fouled in the area allowing Jordan Bove to step up, but the striker missed his penalty kick.

Latics didn't let that affect them as they equalised with just over ten minutes remaining through Hardman's second of the game. The midfielder, who had been impressive all game, finished off a move to give Latics hope of an extraordinary comeback. 

Disaster struck two minutes from time however as Blackpool managed to get the winning goal. A mistake from Coleman allowed the Seasiders to attack Latics' goal. The visitors had opportunities to clear the ball but unfortunately couldn't get the ball away and the home side grabbed the winner to the disappointment of the Latics players. 

Manager Philliskirk was disappointed with the result but couldn't fault the effort his players put in. He said: "It was disappointing to lose the game. When you analyse the game, we didn't deserve to lose. You can't expect to go to the league leaders, concede four goals and still win the game but that doesn't mask the fact that we did superbly. 

"The boys can be really proud of themselves. Realistically, the title chance is gone but the lads have been superb this season and given a great account of themselves. We've still got a cup final to look forward so it'll be great for the players because they have deserved it."

Advertisement block