Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Crewe Alexandra v Oldham Athletic

15 March 2014

Latics Draw With Crewe

Late Heartbreak For Latics

Harry Davis headed home in second half stoppage time to deny Latics all three points.

Gary Harkins had given the visitors the lead early in the second half but Davis' strike cancelled out that goal and the result leaves Latics 18th in Sky Bet League One.

The first half passed by with very little clear-cut chances as both sides battled for possession in the midfield. 

Latics' best chance of the half was in the first minute of the game as Jonson Clarke-Harris, who was a constant threat, glanced a header wide of the goal after a Harkins corner. 

The home side grew into the game and Cameron Park was becoming instumental on the right-hand side. The winger played the ball into the box for Anthony Grant but the midfielder hit his effort over the bar. 

With chances limited, James Wesolowski received the first booking of the afternoon by cynically bringing down a Crewe attacker as they looked to break. The resulting free kick was cleared well by a resolute Latics defence. 

As the game approached the end of the half, both sides started to have chances. Matt Tootle went close for the Alex, while at the other end, David Worrall's strike just went past the post.

Latics started the second half much brighter and took the lead on 52 minutes. A long ball from Wesolowski found Clarke-Harris. His pass to Harkins allowed the winger to turn his defender and rifle a shot into the bottom corner past the goalkeeper to give Latics the advantage.

The visitors were in the ascendancy and minutes later, Wesolowski almost made it two. The midfielder received the ball on the edge of the area but he sliced his shot wide of the goal. 

Just after the hour mark, the visitors again maybe should have extended their lead. Jonathan Grounds got behind the defence and played a ball into Clarke-Harris but a Crewe defender recovered exceptionally well to stop what was a certain goal.

Harkins was the next player to be denied by the goalkeeper five minutes from time. The forward found space inside the area and unleashed a shot which Ben Garratt managed to save with his legs. 

A head injury to Crewe defender Mark Ellis meant the fourth official added seven minutes of injury time on at the end of the game. 

Having played three minutes into that, Crewe managed to grab an equaliser through Davis. The defender found space at the back post and smashed his header past Rachubka to give Crewe a share of the spoils. 

Oldham Athletic: Rachubka, Brown, Lockwood, Wilson, Grounds, Philliskirk, Wesolowski, Harkins, Byrom, Worrall, Clarke-Harris (MacDonald 90+5').

Subs Not Used: Oxley, Mellor, Dunfield, Dayton, Turner, Gafaiti.

Crewe Alexandra: Garratt, Tootle, Davis, Ellis (Mellor 76'), Pogba (Oliver 55'), Inman, Guthrie, Evans, Aneke, Park (Ikpeazu 68'), Grant.

Subs Not Used: Phillips, Dugdale, Osman, Moore.

Goals: Crewe Alexandra (Davis 90+3') 1-1 Oldham Athletic (Harkins 52')

Attendance: 5258 (954 Visiting Fans)

Advertisement block