Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Oldham Athletic 0-0 Brentford

29 March 2014

The points were shared in the battle between Latics and the Bees, extending Latics' unbeaten record to four.

Substitute James Dayton had the best opportunity of the game but couldn't lob the goalkeeper when put through on goal. The result takes Latics up to 17th in the Sky Bet League One table.

James Tarkowski returned to Boundary Park after his deadline day move to Brentford and he received a good reception from Latics' fans at the start of the game.

The home side had the best of the first half as they didn't let the difference in league position affect them.

Bees defender Harlee Dean was booked early in the game for cynically bringing down midweek goalscorer, Korey Smith.

David Worrall was finding a lot of space out wide and he delivered a wicked cross into the box which was just headed over by Jonson Clarke-Harris.

Danny Philliskirk almost opened the scoring for Latics on the half hour mark. Gary Harkins received the ball out wide and crossed straight onto the head of the on-rushing striker but his header thundered over the bar.

With only five minutes of the half remaining, the home side had to alert when Brentford started to get a grip on the game.

Paul Rachubka made a superb save from Clayton Donaldson as the striker shot from the edge of the box but the goalkeeper got down low to keep the ball out. 

With Brentford trying to force a goal before half time, defender James Wilson was a calm head at the back as he stood tall to knock away the danger.

The crowd really got behind the side in the second half as it made for an intimidating atmosphere. 

Wilson, who had won everything in the air, rose highest from a corner, five minutes into the second half but Bees goalkeeper David Button saved well. 

With Latics attacking, they almost got caught on the counter attack on the hour mark. Will Grigg was first denied by Rachubka and the goalkeeper had to be alive as he raced out to the feet of Donaldson to clear the danger. 

With the crowd really getting behind the home side, Latics looked to capitalise on the positive atmosphere. Harkins picked up the ball on the left but his shot was blocked just in front of the goal as the Brentford goal was leading a charmed life.

Substitute James Dayton had the best chance of the game on 70 minutes. The winger perfectly timed his run behind the defence but fluffed his lines when one-on-one with the goalkeeper. 

Chances then started to become limited as both sides tried to win the battle in midfield.

With five minutes of the game remaining, Rachubka pulled off an unbelievable save to deny substitute Stuart Dallas from opening the scoring. The ball fell to the striker at the back post but the goalkeeper stood tall and saved well with his feet.

Latics turned attack into defence and almost snatched the game in the last minute. Man of the match James Wesolowski raced onto a pass but his shot was tame and saved comfortably by the goalkeeper. 

Five minutes of additional time was announced but the home side kept strong and held on to a much deserved point.

Oldham Athletic: Rachubka, Brown, Lockwood, Wilson, Grounds, Worrall (Dayton 57'), Smith, Wesolowski, Harkins, Philliskirk, Clarke-Harris (MacDonald 70').

Subs: Coleman, Dunfield, Winchester, Gafaiti, Millar.

Brentford: Button, Forshaw, Dean, Douglas, Donaldson, Grigg (Trotta 62'), McCormack, Judge (Dallas 84'), Bidwell, Tarkowski, Yennaris (Diagouraga 75').

Subs: Lee, O'Connor, Craig, Reeves.

Goals: Oldham Athletic 0-0 Brentford

Attendance: 4087 (532 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block