Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Youngsters Bow Out Of FA Youth Cup

4 November 2014

Oldham Athletic youth team, sponsored by the Safeguard Group, bowed out of the FA Youth Cup at the first hurdle as Tranmere ran out 2-1 winners.

George Edmondson had given the youngsters the lead midway through the first half but second half goals from Ben Jago and Lewis Moynes sealed the win for Rovers.

Latics started the game in the ascendancy and were unfortunate not to take the lead on the third minute.

Athletic captain Jack Tuohy's inswinging corner found the head of Edmondson but the defender could not keep his effort down.

Minutes later, Devante Jacobs opened up his body and struck from 30 yards which sailed over Luke Pilling's crossbar.

Latics settled into the game the quickest and took the lead on 26 minutes through Edmondson.

Again, Tuohy's delivery was met by the powerful head of the defender and he thundered Latics into a one-goal lead.

The home side were in complete control and ten minutes before the break could have extended their lead but Walters' shot dragged wide of the post.

Tranmere had an opportunity five minutes before the break but Ben Jago's free kick from 25 yards was comfortably held by Latics' goalkeeper Paul Tyson.

After a lengthy injury to Tranmere's Gabriel Kubwalo, the referee played five minutes of additional time at the end of the half.

Deep into that injury time, Tuohy picked the ball up from 30 yards and curled an effort which was destined for the top corner but the crossbar denied the midfielder a wonder goal.

After a slow start to the second half, Tranmere had the first chance on 53 minutes. Neat play in the middle saw the ball fall to Rovers' Darren Askew on the left but Tyson stood tall and saved well.

Latics responded well and patient build up almost saw Tuohy profit. Jake Hargreaves, Callum Scullion and Walters linked up well on the left-hand side before feeding the onrushing midfielder but Evan Gumbs blocked the shot which looked destined for the bottom corner.

Just after the hour mark, Scullion again caused havoc on the left hand side and fed Walters but the striker could not find the target.

Five minutes later, Tranmere had two golden opportunities to get back into the game. Firstly Gumbs almost capitalised on a mistake by goalkeeper Tyson but he struck wide of the post.

Seconds later the stopper redeemed himself, expertly denying substitute Sam Ilesmanmi as he raced through one-on-one with the goalkeeper.

The visitors were in the ascendancy and equalised on 69 minutes in spectacular style. 

Jacobs' dragged Askew to the ground 25 yards from goal and Jago stepped up and struck into the top corner leaving Tyson helpless.

Ten minutes later and the game had turned on its head. Scullion was dispossessed at the back and Moynes raced though on goal to tuck through Tyson's legs to put Tranmere ahead.

The home side were shellshocked but were presented with a chance to equalise straight after the goal. Ben Grant had space on the edge of the box to shoot but Pilling saved well from the midfielder.

With time running out, Latics threw everything forward in a bid to get something out of the game. Substitute Rio Murray headed goalwards in the final seconds of the game but was thwarted by Pilling's left hand and that sealed victory for Tranmere. 

Oldham Athletic Youth: Tyson, Etches, Scullion, Stott (Parmer 86'), Edmondson, Grant, Hargreaves (Fallon 83'), Tuohy, Walters, Jacobs, Knight (Murray 79').

Subs not used: Mantak, Renshaw.

Tranmere Rovers Youth: Pilling, Duggan, Hunter, Cringle, Gumbs, Smith, Kubwalo, Jago, Motola, Moynes, Askew.

Subs not used: Ilesanmi, Jones, Williams, Lucy, Akpan.

Goals: Oldham Athletic (Edmondson 26') 1-2 Tranmere Rovers (Jago 69', Moynes 78')

Advertisement block