Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Oldham Athletic v Fleetwood Town

6 September 2014

Latics Beat High-Flying Cods

Oldham Athletic made it three wins from their last three games with victory over second-placed Fleetwood Town.

Jonathan Forte's penalty in first half injury time was enough to give Latics the three points after Danny Philliskirk was fouled in the area.

Paul Rachubka also secured his third clean sheet in as many games to seal Latics their first home league victory of the season.

The game started off at a slow pace with the greasy conditions playing a huge part of the opening ten minutes.

The first chance of the afternoon fell to Forte on 11 minutes but the forward's shot just dragged wide of Chris Maxwell's goal.

Oldham Athletic started to dictate the pace of the game and mid way through the first half, Philliskirk intercepted a pass and raced through on goal but his eventual shot blasted wide of the post.

August Player of the Month Carl Winchester and Forte were providing good width for Latics as they forced a succession of corners but none fell to an Oldham Athletic player.

Just after the half hour mark, Philliskirk found space 25 yards from goal but his shot thundered past the post with Maxwell scrambling to get there.

Five minutes before the break, Latics debutant Dominic Poleon held off his defender well before firing just wide of the post.

As the sides looked set to go into the break on level terms, Latics were awarded a penalty in additional time.

Philliskirk received the ball inside the area and shimmied past Schumacher who brought the forward down. Forte stepped up and notched his fifth goal of the season, confidently smashing the ball past the goalkeeper.

Latics came out attacking in the second half and almost doubled their lead on 54 minutes. Mike Jones' whipped corner caused mahem in the Fleetwood area and the ball ricocheted off the crossbar.

Poleon almost opened his account for Latics on the hour mark. Philliskirk won the ball in the centre of the field and progressed more than half the pitch before feeding the striker but his low shot was well handled by Maxwell.

The Cod Army started to rally and tried to find a way back into the game. Gareth Evans receieved the ball on the right-hand side but his curled effort fell wide with Paul Rachubka scrambling.

With Fleetwood coming back into the game, Latics started to look dangerous on the counter attack. Rachubka fed Brian Wilson who sprinted from one box to another before firing just wide of the goal.

The visitors started to pick up the intensity but Latics did well to hold on to the ball and force the opposition backwards.

As time ran out, the home side kept the ball in the corner and professionally saw out the game to win the three points.

Oldham Athletic: Rachubka, B.Wilson, J.Wilson, Elokobi, Mills, Jones, Kelly, Winchester, Forte (Morgan-Smith 58'), Philliskirk, Poleon.

Subs not used: Coleman, Brown, Dieng, Dayton, Tidser, Bove.

Fleetwood Town: Maxwell, Pond, Evans, Schumacher, Dobbie (
Blair 78'), Morris, Hogan, Sarcevic (Ball 60'), Proctor, Jordan, Crainey.

Subs not used: Davies, Andrew, Murdoch, Roberts, Hughes.

Goals: Oldham Athletic (Forte 45+2') 1-0 Fleetwood Town

4,425 (450 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block