Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

RESULT: Latics Bow Out Of Cup Competition

9 September 2014

Latics bow out of the Robinsons Brewery Manchester Senior Cup at the quarter final stage.

Jack Tuohy and Amari Morgan-Smith scored for Latics, whilst Robert Hall, Conor Wilkinson, Zach Clough, Georg Iliev grabbed the goals for Bolton as they progress into the semi final of the competition to face Manchester United.

Latics started the game on the front foot but fell behind against the run of play as Hall gave the Trotters the lead. The youngster tucked the ball underneath Joel Coleman after a neat through-ball by Clough.

Minutes later, Wanderers extended their lead after a mistake from Coleman. The goalkeeper was caught out outside his area and Wilkinson tucked the ball into an empty goal from 25 yards out.

Latics hit back almost instantly through Tuohy. The youth team midfielder struck from the edge of the box on the half volley and it nestled into the corner to get the visitors back into the game.

Midway through the first half, Bolton restored their two goal lead. Scorer of Bolton's first goal, Hall, fed Clough and the forward tucked the ball into the bottom corner leaving Coleman with no chance.

Played at a high tempo, Latics found another way back into the game after an error from the Trotters defence. The goalkeeper picked up a backpass and it allowed Morgan-Smith to fire home from eight yards following an indirect free kick.

With only 32 minutes of the game played, Bolton had the opportunity to extend their two goal lead for a second time. Morgan-Smith was adjudged to have handled inside the area and after initially seeing his penalty saved, Iliev followed up to score to make it 4-2.

Latics started the second half positively, keeping the ball and looking dangerous in possession. On 63 minutes, Jordan Bove was unfortunate not to pull a goal back for Latics but he smacked the outside of the post after a great ball from substitute Emil Tansinda.

Both sides had their fair share of possession but Latics were struggling to find any clear cut opportunities.

As time started to run out, defender Ryan Ellison went close from a corner and Tansinda should probably have done better with a chance on the edge of the box.

The referee called time on the game and Bolton progress to the semi final of the competition.

Advertisement block