Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Coventry City v Oldham Athletic

14 April 2015

Latics Forced To Settle For Point

It was a cruel ending for Oldham Athletic as Reda Johnson's late goal earned the Sky Blues a share of the spoils at the Ricoh Arena.

Danny Philliskirk had given Latics the lead in the opening 13 minutes of the game after neat play on the left hand side.

However, Coventry equalised into added on time in controversial circumstances to nick a point from the game.

With news that a lot of supporters were stuck on the M6, the game went ahead as scheduled but it was Coventry that settled into the game better.

The Sky Blues' forward two, Nick Proschwitz and Frank Nouble, were causing the defence a few problems but Adam Lockwood and James Wilson stood firm. 

Joel Coleman pulled off a good save on seven minutes as Proschwitz guided Adam Barton's first header on target but the goalkeeper clawed the ball away from goal.

Carl Winchester and Mike Jones combined to win a free kick for Latics on 12 minutes and that would prove costly for Coventry as from it, the visitors took the lead.

The two who won the free kick combined again as Jones slipped the ball to Winchester who cross into the centre for Philliskirk to guide the ball past the goalkeeper to put Latics 1-0 ahead.

Rhys Turner and Dominic Poleon were doing well in attack but Coventry City central defender Reda Johnson was proving to be a tough man to beat.

The home side started to apply pressure to Latics but Coleman was found to be in inspired form.

Firstly, he tipped behind a Barton shot from 25 yards and he did well five minutes later to punch away a corner under a lot of pressure.

Grant Ward was the next to test Coleman from distance just after the half hour mark but the goalkeeper saved well once again.

Slightly against the run of play, Latics almost doubled their advantage through an unlikely source.

After Coventry seemed to clear the ball, James Wilson took the ball down and volleyed from 40 yards which thundered inches over the crossbar.

Latics remained in control of the final minutes of the first half and went into the half time break one goal ahead.

Coventry came stronger in the second half and limited Latics to little possession as they looked for a way back into the game.

However, after their initial pressure, the home side struggled any real clear cut opportunities as Latics limited them to little.

Latics brought on Rhys Murphy just after the hour mark in place of Rhys Turner to add a bit more experience in attack.

However, it was Coventry that continued to press with Proschwitz almost profiting from a through ball. 

The striker rose above everybody into the box a minute after Murphy came on but Coleman was out quickly to deny the striker. 

Coventry's game plan seemed to be to get the ball wide and cross the ball into the box but the defence were standing up to the challenge they were presenting. 

The Sky Blues had their best chance of the game on 72 minutes as substitute Simeon Jackson should have converted from a cross but the ball went wide.

Latics were struggling to get the ball clear and were withstanding heavy pressure into the penalty area.

With only ten minutes of the game remaining, Coventry substitute James Maddison wriggled his way through the defence but Coleman tipped his effort past the post.

Dean Holden brought on Genserix Kusunga on 84 minutes to steady up the defence as he replaced Winchester, who put in a good shift.

Latics had the chance to seal it in the final few minutes of the game but Philliskirk could not pick out either Jones or Morgan-Smith in the area.

Only a minute later, Mike Jones was felled inside the penalty area but the referee perceived the midfielder to have dived and booked him.

After six minutes of additional time was announced, the home side managed to equalise but under controversial circumstances.

Brown looked to be fouled by Nouble but the referee played on, he crossed into the middle and Johnson managed to head home to equalise.

The home side applied pressure to Latics in the final couple of minutes but the referee blew the final whistle which meant the game ended a draw.

Oldham Athletic: Coleman, B.Wilson, J.Wilson, Lockwood, Brown, Kelly, Jones, Winchester (Kusunga 84'), Philliskirk, Poleon (Morgan-Smith 77'), Turner (Murphy 67').

Subs not used: Kean, Elokobi, Mellis, Wilkinson.

Coventry City: Burge, Willis (Odelusi 79'), Johnson, Fleck, Ward, Proschwitz, O'Brien (Jackson 67'), Barton (Maddison 56'), Nouble, Pennington, Stokes

Subs not used: Charles-Cook, Thomas, Phillips, Martin.

Goals: Coventry City (Johnson 90+1') 1-1 Oldham Athletic (Philliskirk 13')

Attendance: 7,256

Advertisement block