Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Goalless Draw At Park

18 April 2015

Oldham Athletic and Chesterfield played out a goalless draw at Park in the penultimate home game of the season.

It was a game of little chances with Rhys Murphy having Latics' best chance of the game in the first half but the game remained goalless. 

It was a quiet opening to the game with both sides enjoying spells of possession.

Chesterfield's best chance of the first half came in the opening ten minutes of the game as Anthony Gerrard was dispossessed of possession and Gary Roberts raced through but Latics got back to cover the danger.

With both sides struggling to create chances in the early periods of the game, Rhys Murphy was causing a nuisance in attack and almost profited from a through ball but Tommy Lee came out to collect.

Latics had their first chance of the game on 20 minutes and it came from an unlikely source.

Connor Brown received the ball on the edge of the box and unleashed a shot which looked destined for a bottom corner but Lee managed to tip it around the post.

Latics continued to keep the pressure on and it forced Chesterfield to make an early change to stem the flow of Latics' attack as Armand Gnanduillet entered the game.

Just before the half hour mark came another good chance of the half as Rhys Murphy was denied by the Chesterfield defence. 

Firstly, his shot was blocked by Spireites defender Ian Evatt and he followed up with an acrobatic effort which was just tipped wide of the goal. 

Minutes later, Gnanduillet found a way past Latics' defence but his snap shot was sliced wide and Sam Clucas saw his shot saved by Joel Coleman. 

Both sides continued to press but neither could force away through on goal and the sides went into the break goalless.

It was a very quiet opening to the second half but on 54 minutes, Mike Jones had a shot which was saved by Lee.

The game then started to come alive as Chesterfield upped the tempo.

Jimmy Ryan's shot from 25 yards just went past the post and minutes later, Connor Brown's last ditch tackled saved Latics as Jay O'Shea looked to pounce.

The game started to open up a lot with both sides looking to counter the others attacks. 

Second half chances were proving hard to come by for both sides but the introduction of Jordan Bove and George Elokobi seemed to lift the home supporters.

Bove received the ball on the right-hand side, knocked the ball past Evatt and he brought him down and received the first booking of the afternoon.

From that resulting free kick, substitute George Elokobi waited at the back post for Jones' delivery but Gnanduillet just managed to clear for Chesterfield.

Heading into the final ten minutes, the game started to become end-to-end with both sides going close.

Chesterfield started to cause problems for Latics as they smashed the post through a flicked header from Clucas and Coleman pulled off a great save to deny Evatt from a corner.

With only two minutes remaining on the clock, Coleman pulled off a wonder save as Clucas shot goalwards but he tipped over the bar.

Three minutes of additional time passed and both sides settled for a point.

Oldham Athletic: Coleman, Brown, Dieng, Kelly, Jones, Winchester, Philliskirk, J.Wilson, Gerrard (Elokobi 76'), Murphy (Bove 75'), B.Wilson.

Subs not used: Kean, Mellor, Lockwood, Tuohy, Jacobs.

Chesterfield: Lee, Evatt, Morsy, Darikwa, Jones, Raglan, Ryan, Gardner (Gnanduillet 22'), O'Shea, Roberts, Clucas.

Subs not used: Flatt, Carter, Humphreys, Banks, Ariyibi, Harrison.

Goals: Oldham Athletic 0-0 Chesterfield

Attendance: 4,557 (1,254 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block