Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Bury v Oldham Athletic

29 August 2015

Derby Day Draw For Latics

Oldham Athletic maintained their unbeaten league start, drawing 1-1 with local rivals Bury at Gigg Lane.

Lee Croft gave Latics a first half lead, guiding home at the back post from a Jonathan Forte cross, but Bury managed to grab a second half equaliser through Tom Pope.

It was an electric atmosphere pre-match with Latics taking 2,000 supporters to Gigg Lane. 

With that backing, Latics started the game strongly and were almost presented with a chance on eight minutes to take the lead.

David Dunn’s through ball almost found the onrushing Jonathan Forte but goalkeeper Rob Lainton just got to the ball before the striker.

Latics were getting into some dangerous areas and five minutes later, Connor Brown found a way behind the defence but his cut back was miscontrolled by Mike Jones.

Tim Dieng was booked on 13 minutes for bringing down Danny Rose on the edge of the area but Chris Hussey’s free kick was deflected wide for a corner. 

From that resulting corner, Latics cleared the danger and Bury’s Tom Soares found himself in the referee’s notebook for a foul on Joseph Mills.

Latics took the lead midway through the half through Croft’s first goal for the club.

The winger was stood at the back post to receive Forte’s cross and he guided the ball into the bottom corner to give Latics the advantage.

There was some good noise coming from the visiting section after the goal but Latics were forced to go down to ten men as Dieng received a blow to the head, causing blood meaning he left the field for a couple of minutes.

Latics almost doubled their advantage without Dieng on the field on the half hour mark but a scramble inside Bury’s box only resulted in a corner which was eventually cleared.

Bury started to get a grip on the game with ten minutes of the first half remaining but Jonathan Burn and captain for the day James Wilson looked assured at the back.

With 42 minutes on the clock, the home side felt they should have been awarded a spot kick as Rose went down in the penalty area but the referee signalled no penalty.
Set piece specialist Hussey had a free kick on 48 minutes which went narrowly over the crossbar as Bury showed their intent going into the second half. 

Bury striker Tom Pope had his goal bound effort blocked on 51 minutes but from the resulting breakaway, Latics almost doubled their lead.

David Dunn fed Croft on the right, he crossed into the centre where Forte stood but he could not bundle the ball home under pressure. 

The home side started peppering Coleman’s goal in order to find an equaliser with winger Tom Soares firing inches wide.

On the break, Latics were proving to be dangerous. After the hour mark, Dieng cut the ball back to Jones to shoot but his half volley strayed over the crossbar.

Two minutes later, Latics had the best chance to double their lead through an unlikely source. 

From a Bury corner, Latics broke through Forte and Wilson. Forte knocked the ball through to Wilson who ran one-on-one with the goalkeeper but he struck wide.

That chance would come to rue Athletic as Bury found a leveller on 65 minutes.

The ball found its way into the penalty box and Pope made no doubt from ten yards, guiding the ball in off the post.

Latics were under the cosh with Soares again shooting wide from distance, however, Latics still looked promising on the break.

With 20 minutes of the game remaining, Jones knocked in a decent cross which needed to be attacked but unfortunately no Latics player was there to convert.

Burn was forced off with injury whilst Simonas Stankevicius came on for his Oldham Athletic debut.

He looked bright in attack and had a great opportunity to make himself an instant hero on 82 minutes but his shot went straight at the goalkeeper from eight yards.

Latics took the game to Bury in the final minutes of the game but struggled to create a real goalscoring opportunity and ultimately they had to settle for a point.

Bury: Lainton, Riley, Hussey, Tutte (Mellis 88’), Clarke, Mayor, Pope, Soares, Pugh (Jones 51’), Cameron, Rose (Lowe 74’).

Subs not used: Hope, Sedgwick, Ruddy, Foulds.

Oldham Athletic: Coleman, Brown, Wilson, Burn (Yeates 69’), Mills, Dieng, Jones, Croft, Dunn (Turner 84’), Philliskirk, Forte (Stankevicius 74’).

Subs not used: Cornell, Edmundson, Green, Poleon.

Goals: Bury (Pope 65’) 1-1 Oldham Athletic (Croft 23’)

Attendance: 5,448 (1,988 visting supporters)

Advertisement block