There are limited places still available for the Oldham Athletic Community Trust's Community 8's session.
The Community 8's training, supported by McDonalds, takes place at Oldham Academy North School Sport Hall every Tuesday 5-6pm.
The sessions are ideal for those who are playing under 8's football this season and are interested in gaining some additional training alongside the training they receive for their grassroots team.
You do not have to play for a team, however, to take part in the sessions, anyone is welcome to come along. Training costs only £10 per month.
The Community 8's training focuses on futsal, a hugely popular skill due to its slightly heavier ball and emphasis on tricks, skills and creativity.
• We encourage flair, creativity and create an environment in which mistakes are seen as learning opportunities and are not something to be afraid of.
• We strive to use of positive language. Even the smallest of changes in our language can make a big difference to a child.
• We use a guide and discovery delivery style. We encourage questions and the children to get to the answer themselves through demonstrations and prompting from the coach.
• We aim not to coach from the side-lines. Sometimes the best sessions can look chaotic and messy. It does not matter how it looks to others as long as they are clear learning outcomes, objectives and they are being fulfilled.
• Our coaches are constantly set new challenges – for example during a small sided game add in different challenges, ways to score, odd numbers on teams etc. Always however explain why such a challenge has been put into the game.
"My son enjoys the high standard of coaching, the emphasis on ball skills and the relaxed atmosphere. He has improved as a player, made new friends and bought old friends to join in. This is an excellent example of junior coaching."
"I couldn't speak highly enough of the coaching Finlay has received through the OACT. A keen goalkeeper, the sessions were the only ones that were aimed at developing outfield skills, where he would fully engage which is testament to the excellent coaches and the fun sessions. The positive environment has been key to massive improvements in his footballing technique, confidence and all round development."
For more information on the training please either email firstname.lastname@example.org or ring 07927 312929.
In addition to the football above there are also spaces available on Oldham Athletic Community Trust StreetCheer sessions, which again are held at Oldham Academy North School in the dance studio every Tuesday 6-8pm.
The session is aimed at those aged between six and 11 years of age and will be a Street Cheer session. Street Cheer is a unique way of dance that incorporates both the discipline moves of cheerleading with the fun and freedom of street dance.
The cost to attend the classes will be £2 per week. Our dance coaches have years of experience in working within school and community settings and I believe this session will be a high quality yet low cost dance session for youngsters to enjoy. We have fun and interactive dance routines planned and we can`t wait to get started.
It does not matter what dance experience you have or what ability level you are everybody is welcome to the session. The sessions will be set up to encourage and teach the young participants this form of dance in a fun and friendly atmosphere with confidence building and team work a major part of each evening.