Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Latics Secure Pre-Season Win

28 July 2015

Oldham Athletic recorded their third win of pre-season with a 2-1 victory over FC Halifax Town.

Rhys Turner and Brian Wilson grabbed the first half goals to put the game beyond doubt, despite Halifax pulling a goal back early in the second half through Matty Brown. 

A strange second half also saw the game end three minutes early as darkness descended over the Shay Stadium due to floodlight failure throughout the second half. 

It was a slow start to the game but Latics dominated possession without really causing a goalscoring opportunity.

The first chance of the game came on nine minutes through Jonathan Forte. Neat play in the midfield saw the ball delivered to the back post where Mike Jones stood. He crossed to the forward but he headed inches over the crossbar.

Latics took the lead on 14 minutes through the impressive Turner. It was neat play on the right by Forte and he crossed to the onrushing 19-year-old who guided the ball into the bottom corner to make it 1-0. 

Darren Kelly's men were knocking the ball around with confidence with the defence also standing firm as Latics were in complete control.

Carl Winchester could have won Latics a penalty midway through the half as he looked to be fouled in the box but the midfielder was honest, stayed on his feet and the referee awarded a goal kick.

Latics doubled their lead on 27 minutes through an unlikely source. Full back Wilson received the ball on the edge of the box from a Jones corner and his shot thundered in from 25 yards to extend the lead.

It was almost three, five minutes later, as Joseph Mills' shot from the left hammered against the crossbar and the home side cleared the danger.

Just before the break, trialist defender Josh Thompson headed inches over the crossbar as the referee blew time on the first half.

After a dominant first half, two minutes into the second, FC Halifax Town pulled a goal back. 

A corner into the box skidded across the surface and looked to rebound off trialist Kerr into the back of Joel Coleman's goal, however the goal was credited to Halifax defender Brown. 

The home side did start to come back into the game but the defence stood firm to deny Jordan Burrow in the Halifax attack.

As a host of changes were made by Kelly, trialists Ryan Hiwat and Ryan Mmaee were given half an hour to prove themselves.

Latics almost restored their advantage on the hour mark through a string of long range efforts.

Jones went close on two occasions, whilst trialist Hiwat scooped an effort over the crossbar from 25 yards.

With the game slowing down due to the substitutions, Halifax almost found an equaliser 10 minutes from time.

Substitute Connor Brown brought down Josh McDonald on the edge of the box but the resulting free kick was blocked by Danny Philliskirk.

It was a strange ending to the game, as floodlight failure, which had caused a problem throughout the second half, caused the abrupt ending of the game on 87 minutes.

FC Halifax Town: Glennon, Bolton, McManus, Hutchinson, Brown, Hughes, Burrow, Whitehouse, Bencherif, James, Bishop.

Subs: Porter, Tuton, Hattersley, Hibbs, Walker.

Oldham Athletic: Coleman, B.Wilson, Josh Thompson, Frazer Kerr, Mills (Brown 62'), Kelly (Dieng 46', Winchester (Philliskirk 70'), Jones (Keohane 70'), Green (Trialist 62'), Forte (Hiwat 46'), Turner (Murphy 62').

Subs not used: Cornell, Edmundson.

Goals: FC Halifax Town (Brown 47') 1-2 Oldham Athletic (Turner 14', Wilson 27')

Attendance: 867 (303 Latics supporters)

Advertisement block