Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

SEASON REVIEW: April/May 2015

8 June 2015

This is our final look back at Oldham Athletic's 2014/15 season.

After finishing March with a two victories and a loss, the excitement was still there that Latics could still make the play-offs at the end of the season. 

With the league very tight, Latics hosted top-of-the-table Bristol City, who had all but sealed promotion to the Sky Bet Championship.

Latics started the game very well and were taking the game to their opponents, however, the Robins took the lead with only 20 minutes of the game remaining.

Aaron Wilbraham swept home from close range to put City in the driving seat but five minutes later, Latics were level.

It was another goal of the season contender from Carl Winchester which pulled the scores level as he rifled home from 30 yards to seal a point for Athletic.

After the Good Friday draw, Latics travelled south to Crawley Town on Easter Monday in search of three points.

However, two first half goals, one from Izale McLeod and the other from Richard Wood, succumbed Latics to defeat in a forgetful afternoon for the Blues.

Athletic needed a response from their next game with Sheffield United the visitors to Park.

It was a game to remember for Dominic Poleon who netted twice against his former side.

The 21-year-old opened the scoring in the opening 10 minutes of the game before doubling the lead just before half time, scoring the Goal of the Season.

Poleon knocked the ball past a defender and struck an early shot which deceived the goalkeeper to fly into the top corner from 30 yards.

Sheffield United came out strongly in the second half and managed to get back into the game as Jason Holt bundled home from close range to reduce the arrears.

On 75 minutes, the scores were level through controversial circumstances. After the referee overruled the linesman to give a corner, Jamie Murphy pounced inside the penalty area to draw the Blades level.

That was how the scores stayed and Latics dropped to 14th in Sky Bet League One.

Athletic travelled to strugglers Coventry City on the Tuesday night and took the lead early into the game through Danny Philliskirk.

A neat free kick routine allowed the former Chelsea man to flick the ball into the back of the net from six yards to put Latics ahead.

That lead lasted until the 91st minute as the Sky Blues equalised, again in controversial circumstances.

Connor Brown appeared to be fouled as he attempted to clear the ball but the referee continued play. Frank Nouble crossed onto the head of Reda Johnson to equalise and snatch a point from the game.

Play-off chasing Chesterfield travelled to Park on the Saturday knowing victory could seal the final Sky Bet League One play-off spot.

Latics, however, were looking to spoil the party. Connor Brown almost opened the scoring but his effort was tipped wide by Tommy Lee and Rhys Murphy's acrobatic effort was also saved by the goalkeeper.

Joel Coleman, who was proving to be an impressive figure in Athletic's goal, was forced to tip over a Sam Clucas effort late into the game as he preserved another clean sheet in a goalless draw.

The penultimate away fixture was at Walsall. Hundreds of supporters turned up to the Bescot Stadium donning their best fancy dress outfits which turned out to be the only highlight for Latics as they fell to a 2-0 defeat. 

Tom Bradshaw's double, including a penalty, sealed the victory for Walsall as they leapfrogged Latics into 14th position.

The month finished on a very high note for Tony Philliskirk and his youth team as they beat MK Dons 4-0 to lift the Youth Alliance Cup.

Ben Grant's double put the young Latics on their way to victory before Devante Jacobs' and Callum Etches' smashed home their free kicks to round off a convincing victory.

The final game of the season saw Peterborough United visit for the first time since the 5-4 victory back in January 2014. 

Dominic Poleon continued to impress, scoring the opening goal of the game with a header from 10 yards. 

Latics were in control and Posh were reduced to 10-men on the hour mark after Jonathan Edwards was dismissed for a late challenge on James Wilson. 

However, that sending off seemed to lift the visitors and they equalised with 15 minutes remaining through Michael Bostwick.

Both sides went for it in the final 10 minutes of the game but the referee blew his whistle and time on the 2014/15 season for Latics.

Advertisement block