Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

SEASON REVIEW: January 2015

3 June 2015

We take a look back at Oldham Athletic's 2014/15 Sky Bet League One campaign in our season review feature.

The new year took a while to get started as the game with Rochdale on January 3 had to be postponed due to their journey in the FA Cup.

Latics had to wait until January 10 to get their 2015 underway as they faced Doncaster Rovers at home.

The game marked the end of Jabo Ibehre's loan spell with the club and he capped it with a departing goal to put Latics 1-0 ahead.

George Elokobi nodded his second goal in as many games in the second half before Joseph Mills saw red for a rash challenge.

Doncaster used the man advantage and pulled a goal back through controversial circumstances. 

Nathan Tyson appeared to unfairly challenge Paul Rachubka and tapped the ball over the line, a goal which the referee gave to the dismay of everyone inside Park.

Just as Latics looked to hold on, in the 94th minute of the game, James Coppinger cut inside and slipped his shot past Rachubka to equalise for the visitors.

With morale low after the Doncaster draw, Latics faced a trip to Highbury as Fleetwood Town were the hosts.

Latics had already beaten the Cod Army once this season and were looking to kick start their 2015.

The day itself turned out to be one of the best away days of the season as Latics claimed a 2-0 victory courtesy of two wonderful strikes.

Carl Winchester had given Latics the lead with a Goal of the Season contender in the second half but it was the aftermath of that goal which supporters will remember most.

One unfortunate supporter, in celebrating Winchester's goal, dropped his pies which he purchased at half time.

However, Connor Brown came to the rescue as he raced 50 yards to pick up the meat-based product and hand them back to the ecstatic supporter.

Just after the hour mark, Mike Jones made it 2-0 to Latics with an inch-perfect free kick into the top corner to seal the victory.

Fresh from that victory, Latics made their longest trip of the season as they travelled to Kent to face Gillingham.

Full of optimism, that was quickly dashed in the opening 10 minutes of the game as the home side raced into a 2-0 lead.

Latics' confidence was down but Connor Brown won his side a penalty after he was felled in the area.

Without top scorer Jonathan Forte in the side, the penalty duties were passed to Danny Philliskirk.

He stepped up from 12 yards but his spot kick was saved, however, captain Liam Kelly was quick to follow up to pull a goal back for Latics.

That goal seemed to send Athletic into another gear and Dominic Poleon chased down a lost ball, nicked it off the goalkeeper and slotted into an empty goal to make it level after 20 minutes.

Mike Jones had a chance before the break to turn the game on its head but Stuart Nelson saved with his feet to deny the midfielder. 

He would rue that chance in the second half as Bradley Dack struck from 25 yards to win the game for Gillingham. 

Jacob Mellis came on for his debut and almost equalised for a second time in the game but the Gills ran out winners to dent Latics' play-off hopes.

Concerns surrounded Latics final game of the month against Notts County as snow descended upon Park.

After an appeal for help was put out, supporters and volunteers turned up in their numbers to clear the pitch and ensure the game could go ahead.

Some of those volunteers included manager Lee Johnson, full back Joseph Mills and chief executive Neil Joy.

During the day, Latics secured the signing of Blackburn goalkeeper Jake Kean on loan until the end of the season.

After the superb effort from all the volunteers, the game against Notts County went ahead and Latics repaid their hard work with a victory.

George Elokobi headed home his third goal of the season to put Latics one goal to the good.

Only a minute later, Latics doubled their lead through Amari Morgan-Smith. Carl Winchester's block bounced perfectly into the path of the striker and he made no mistake as he slotted past Roy Carroll to make it 2-0.

Latics were in cruise control and made it 3-0 in the second half through a neat header from the returning Jonathan Forte.

Neat play on the left hand side saw Connor Brown onto the head of the forward who smashed his 14th goal of the season to cap off a mixed month on and off the pitch for Latics.

Advertisement block