Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

SEASON REVIEW: October 2014

28 May 2015

We take a look back at Oldham Athletic's 2014/15 Sky Bet League One campaign in our season review feature.

Hopes were raised in October after finishing September unbeaten in both league and cup competitions.

Latics had good momentum going into the month and they entered the game with Peterborough United full of confidence. 

It did not take Latics long to take the lead through a tidy goal from Jonathan Forte.

The forward latched onto a cross from Danny Philliskirk to put Athletic into the lead.

Posh started to come back into the game and Latics were undone by two long range efforts which put them behind in the game.

Michael Bostwick smashed the home side level before a stunning Marcus Maddison free kick gave Posh the advantage but just after the hour mark, Genserix Kusunga equalised.

Kusunga had only scored two goals during his time with the club, both important goals against Peterborough United.

The second round of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy tie was the next game at Park as Barnsley were the visitors.

After previously knocking Bradford out of the competition courtesy of a Jordan Bove goal, Latics raced two goals ahead through Dominic Poleon and Danny Philliskirk.

However, the Tykes hit back and after Luke Berry had pulled a goal back, in the final minute of the game, Sam Winnall struck from 30 yards to send the game to penalties.

Danny Philliskirk, Liam Kelly and Mike Jones all scored their penalties, whilst Paul Rachubka saved two Barnsley penalties.

Conor Wilkinson had the chance to win the game for Latics but missed, leaving youngster Rhys Turner to become the match winner as he secured the club's place in the third round of the competition.

Attention turned back to Oldham Athletic's League One campaign as Walsall were the visitors to Park on October 11.

After falling behind in the opening minutes of the game through Jordan Cook's strike, Conor Wilkinson grabbed the equaliser and his first goal for the club, ending his first spell with the club on a high note.

With time ticking, Mike Jones opened up his body from 25 yards out and rifled a shot past Richard O'Donnell to win the game for Latics, taking the unbeaten run to ten games.

Over 1,000 supporters made the trip to Chesterfield as Latics had the chance to move into the Sky Bet League One play off positions, overtaking the Spireites.

There was a sense of nervousness but excitement around the Proact Stadium as both sides were being tipped for good things in the division.

The game also provided supporters a chance to see the top two goalscorers in the division come up against each other as Jonathan Forte lined up against Eoin Doyle, who headed the scoring charts.

After an exciting opening 45 minutes without any goals, it was Latics that did take the lead after Danny Philliskirk was fouled in the penalty box.

Forte placed the ball beyond Tommy Lee to notch his eighth goal of the season and send the supporters behind the goal into a state of ecstasy. 

That did not last long, however, as Sam Clucas equalised for the Spireites, volleying confidently past Paul Rachubka.

Both sides had chances to win the game but the game proved to be a fantastic advert for League One football as it ended a draw.

Two tough home fixtures followed as Coventry City and Bradford City were in town to try and end Latics' unbeaten run.

The Sky Blues, who were sitting just above the League One relegation places, needed the victory to calm any nerves of a relegation battle but Latics were confident.

The game arguably turned out to be Athletic's best performance of the season as they comfortably dispatched the Sky Blues 4-1.

Danny Philliskirk gave Latics the lead against his former club and Jonathan Forte's double ensured Latics lead 3-1 at the break.

In a controlled second half performance, Jabo Ibehre notched his first goal for the club to win the game comfortably, stretching the unbeaten run to 12 games.

Bradford City had already been to Park during the season in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy and lost, and they were looking for revenge.

However, Latics got off to the perfect start, taking the lead early into the game courtesy of Jonathan Forte's fifth goal of the month.

Mike Jones extended Athletic's lead but they were pegged back before half time through Andy Halliday's neat finish.

Bradford pushed and pushed for an equaliser in the second half but Latics held firm and stood resolutely to pick up the vital win to take the unbeaten run to 13 games.

The victory catapulted Latics into the play-off positions after 15 games played and set up an exciting clash with Bristol City on November 1.

The performance of Jonathan Forte during the month drew praise from all quarters and he was rewarded with the October Player of the Month award by the Football League.

Advertisement block