Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

SEASON REVIEW: September 2014

27 May 2015

We take a look back at Oldham Athletic's 2014/15 Sky Bet League One campaign in our season review feature.

After a shaky start to the 2014/15 season, Latics finished August with an impressive away victory against Doncaster Rovers, and that win brought confidence amongst the players.

However, at the start of the month, Latics lost striker Jonson Clarke-Harris who joined Championship side Rotherham United but Dominic Poleon was quickly brought in to bolster the attack.

Following the victory over Doncaster, the first round of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy followed on the Tuesday night as Latics entertained Bradford City.

In what turned out to be a tight affair, it finished with a fairytale ending for a young striker who bagged his first goal for the club.

Jordan Bove, who saw red in the same competition the previous season, smashed home the winning goal in the 88th minute of the game to seal Latics' progression through to the second round of the competition.

Latics were on a roll and looked to continue their winning streak as Fleetwood Town rocked up to Park.

The game marked Dominic Poleon's first game in an Oldham Athletic shirt and he made an instant impact, crossing the ball into Danny Philliskirk who was fouled in the penalty area.

Jonathan Forte stepped up and fired his fifth goal of the season to make it three wins from three and propel Latics into the top half of the Sky Bet League One table.

A third home game followed against Gillingham and as much as Latics pressed and pressed, they could not break through the resolute Gills defence.

Goalkeeper Paul Rachubka was forced into action late on in the game to preserve Latics a point and take the unbeaten run to four games.

With the momentum starting to pick up, Latics travelled to in-form Swindon Town on a cold Tuesday night looking to stretch their unbeaten run to five games.

James Dayton struck one of the goals of the season, eventually finishing second in the overall competition, to put Latics ahead before Jonathan Obika equalised three minutes later.

Andy Williams thought he had won the game for Swindon in the last ten minutes of the game before Amari Morgan-Smith scored his first goal for Latics to equalise.

Latics were then back on the road to Nottingham as they faced Notts County who were flying high in the table at the time.

The game marked Conor Wilkinson's first start for the club and he felt he was fouled in the opening eight minutes of the game but the referee booked the striker for diving.

In a game Latics controlled, they just could not find the breakthrough. 

Danny Philliskirk and Conor Wilkinson had Athletic's best chances of the game but they were met by an in-form Roy Carroll who kept them out.

The goalless draw meant Latics' unbeaten run continued and it stood at six games.

The final game of the month was a home clash with Scunthorpe United, who had struggled to adapt to League One football.

After falling behind to Andrew Boyce's early headed finish, Latics equalised through top goalscorer Jonathan Forte who slotted into the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

Rory Fallon then gave the Iron the lead before the half time break and Latics knew they had to score two goals for victory, something which they hadn't done at home since the 5-4 victory over Peterborough United in January 2014. 

Danny Philliskirk delivered the goods, notching his first two goals of the season to win the game for Latics and put them within touching distance of the Sky Bet League One play off places.

Latics finished the month unbeaten and manager Lee Johnson was shortlisted for the Manager of the Month award but he lost out to Bristol City manager Steve Cotterill.

Advertisement block