Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Mansfield Town v Oldham Athletic

7 November 2015

Replay Needed As Latics Draw

We will need a replay to determine who gets through to the second round of the Emirates FA Cup as it ended goalless at the One Call Stadium.

Both sides had chances to win the game with Latics’ best chance coming in the first half through Ricardo Fuller but he put his effort past the post.

Latics were forced into some defending with Burnley loanee Cameron Dummigan twice clear off the line in the second half but a replay at Park awaits.

Manager David Dunn was forced to name himself on the bench due to the absence of Jay Fulton.

It was a very bright start to the game from both sides but it was Latics that had the first chance of the game.

Mark Yeates advanced onto the edge of the box, cut inside but saw his shot deflected over the crossbar.

Two minutes later, Athletic were forced into some last ditch defending as Joseph Mills just got back in time to deny Matt Green from firing.

The wind played a massive part throughout the half as passes and shots were being held up.

On 14 minutes, Danny Philliskirk was given space inside the penalty area to shoot but a deflection sent it off course and out for a corner.

Both sides were going for it in the first half but Latics had to be wary of the Mansfield counter attack.

Just before the half hour, Ricardo Fuller had the best opportunity of the half but placed his shot wide from 10 yards.

Carl Winchester was booked for a late challenge on Chris Clements in midfield and the home side started to enjoy a bit of sustained pressure.

After winning corner after corner, Latics did manage to break but Cameron Dummigan’s 50 yard pass was just intercepted at the vital point.

Mansfield’s best chance of the half came a minute before the half time whistle as Reggie Lambe headed over from six yards unchallenged.

Latics attempted to make them pay for that missed chance before the break but Winchester’s deflected shot fell straight into the arms of Stags goalkeeper Brian Jenson. 

The game lost its intensity a bit after the break but Fuller was unfortunate not to latch onto a through ball from Philliskirk on 50 minutes.

Mansfield really should have taken the lead minutes later as Green knocked the ball past Joel Coleman but out of nowhere Cameron Dummigan appeared out of nowhere to clear the danger.

Fuller was replaced on 55 minutes for Lee Croft and the substitute almost gave Latics the lead after his introduction.

The winger ran at the defence, cut inside and curled the ball towards the far corner but Jenson’s outstretched arm just palmed it wide.

The pace of the game slowed down slightly with Mansfield’s Lambe booked for a late challenge on Mills.

Giorgio Rasulo was introduced with 20 minutes of the game remaining and he looked lively in attack.

It was the home side, however, who had the better chances to win it in the final 10 minutes. 

Dummigan was forced to clear off the line again as Mansfield continued to put pressure on Coleman’s goal.

However, on the break Latics looked threatening. With only two minutes of the game remaining, Yeates pulled the ball back for Philliskirk to strike but a deflection sent the ball over the crossbar.

Latics were forced down to 10 men in the final minutes as Timothee Dieng picked up an injury but they eventually managed to hold on to earn a replay in 10 days time.

Mansfield Town: Jenson, Rose (Thomas 63’), Collins, Chapman, Clements, Green (Yussuf 81’), Westcarr, Tafazolli, Hunt, Lambe (Blair 80’), Adams.

Subs not used: Shearer, Thomas, McGuire, Smith

Oldham Athletic: Coleman, Dummigan, Wilson, Dieng, Mills, Poleon (Rasulo 72’), Winchester, Philliskirk, Yeates, Higdon, Fuller (Croft 55’, Eckersley 78’).

Subs not used: Dunn, Vassell, Byrnes, Renshaw.

Goals: Mansfield Town 0-0 Oldham Athletic

Attendance: 2,886 (512 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account