Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Young Latics Through To FA Youth Cup Third Round

27 November 2015

Oldham Athletic youth team advanced to the third round of the FA Youth Cup to face Bournemouth as they ran out 4-1 winners over Morecambe.

Two goals in a minute helped settle the nerves as Brad Kay and Rio Murray put Tony Philliskirk’s side in control.

Murray added his second of the game on 31 minutes before Morecambe pulled a goal back through Morgan Homson-Smith.

Five minutes before the break, Jamie Stott’s powerful headed made it 4-1 and it is Latics that advance to the third round of the competition to face AFC Bournemouth.

It was a dominant display from the young Latics in the first half but it was the visitors that almost took a second minute lead.

Shrimps striker Morgan Homson-Smith ran through on goal but goalkeeper Chris Renshaw stood tall to save.

It was probably Morecambe that had the best of the opening ten minutes as Renshaw again was forced into action, tipped over a free kick from Homson-Smith.

Latics, however, took control on 11 minutes as Brad Kay headed Tony Philliskirk’s men in front.

A pinpoint cross from Lee Knight found the head of the tall striker and he looped it over the goalkeeper’s head to give Latics the lead.

One quickly became two as Knight was again the instigator, as his perfectly-weighted through ball found the onrushing Murray to finish confidently from 12 yards.

It was almost three before 20 minutes after great play on the wing by Rory Middleton; he crossed for Murray but he tipped it wide of the goal.

Midway through the first half, Chinedu Uche fired over the crossbar before on the half hour mark, Murray made it 3-0 to Latics.

A corner into the box caused a scramble in the Morecambe box and Murray forced the ball over the line for his second of the night.

The Shrimps pulled a goal back three minutes later through the lively Homson-Smith. He finished into an open net after Luke Jordan’s cross.

It didn’t take long for Latics to restore their three goal advantage as Stott’s powerful header made it 4-1.

Murray had just been denied by a smart save from the goalkeeper, but from the resulting corner, Stott rose highest to head home.

It could have been five before the break but Uche’s header from eight yards rebounded off the crossbar.

It was a controlled and professional performance from Latics in the second half with every man sticking to their task. 

Murray skipped his way into the box five minutes into the second half, pulled the ball back into the box but it was just ahead of Key in the centre.

Renshaw was forced into action on the hour mark as he tipped a Luke Jordan shot wide of the post after the winger advanced into the penalty area.

With 65 minutes on the clock, the young Latics almost made it five as Middleton’s inswinging corner had to be cleared off the line by a Morecambe defender.

Philliskirk made changes as some of his players started to tire, as they had missed a majority of the season with injury.

Jake Hargreaves and goalscorer Kay were replaced by Liam Healey and Francois Antoine. 

With Latics in complete control, they went in search of more goals in the final 10 minutes of the game.

Knight was almost rewarded for his persistent play as he won the ball, took it around three men and looped a cross to the back post but Murray headed wide, courtesy of a deflection.

From the resulting set piece, Middleton, who was having joy from corners all night, struck the crossbar as Latics went in search of their fifth of the night.

They almost had that with five minutes remaining, and Murray almost had his hat-trick, but his volley from six yards was smartly saved by the goalkeeper.

Philliskirk’s men saw out the game and face Premier League side AFC Bournemouth in the next round of the competition. 

Oldham Athletic: Renshaw, Lent, Fallon, King, Stott, Middleton, Knight, Hargreaves (Healey 73’), Murray, Kay (Antoine 76’), Uche (Brown 82’).

Subs not used: O’Neill, Murphy.

Morecambe: Maher, Docherty, Williams, Webb, Dawson (Townsend 53’), Cowley (Livingstone 73’), Yawson, Hedley, Homson-Smith, Gibbons, Jordan. 

Subs not used: Povey, Tomlinson, Masters.

Goals: Oldham Athletic (Kay 11’, Murray 12’, 31’, Stott 40’) 4-1 Morecambe (Homson-Smith 34’)

Advertisement block