Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Fleetwood Town v Oldham Athletic

16 April 2016

Match Reports

Fleetwood Town v Oldham Athletic

16 April 2016

Late Kelly Goal Rescues Point For Latics

A late Liam Kelly goal rescued a point for Oldham Athletic as they had to settle for a point against Fleetwood Town at Highbury.

Kelly bundled the ball over the line 13 minutes from time to cancel out Stefan Scougall’s opener on 66 minutes.

Latics did have a goal disallowed on 71 minutes as Curtis Main was adjudged to be offside and the draw keeps Latics 18th in Sky Bet League One, one point ahead of Fleetwood Town.

Manager John Sheridan was forced into changes from Tuesday’s defeat to Barnsley due to injuries and that gave Lee Croft came in for his first start since October.

Latics started nervously and it would be the hosts that settled into the game quickly forcing the early chances.

Fleetwood Town striker Wes Burns managed to get beyond the last man but Coleman, who had an excellent first half, was out quickly to deny the forward.

The hosts continued to press and two minutes later, Coleman was forced into a strong one-handed save which denied Antoni Sarcevic from 10 yards.

Latics could not get going and they were being put under pressure by an energetic Fleetwood Town front line.

They did slowly claw their way back into the game, keeping possession well but without really penetrating the hosts.

Coleman fisted a Burns strike wide from 25 yards as Latics went close just after the half hour mark through Croft.

Doncaster Rovers loanee Curtis Main cut the ball back to the attacking midfielder but his shot from the edge of the box was blocked on route to goal.

Stephen Jordan scooped over the crossbar from the edge of the box whilst the biggest talking point of the half came on 40 minutes as Latics felt they should have been awarded a penalty.

Croft played an inch-perfect through ball to Forte to run on to, he got behind his man and appeared to be fouled inside the area but the referee waved away the protests to the annoyance of the Athletic fans and management. 

Fleetwood almost took advantage from Latics’ anger as Sarcevic shot from 25 yards but Coleman pushed the ball wide of his goal. 

Latics started the second half positively with Tareiq Holmes-Dennis striking wide from 25 yards whilst a minute later, J.Wilson took a knock which would force him off five minutes later.

The hosts grew into the half and forced a succession of corners with the final one headed wide by Nathan Pond.

However, Latics would have the first real chance of the second half as Cameron Dummigan headed towards Forte at the back post but he could only glance it wide.

Athletic were piling on the pressure as one minute later, Main fired a shot into the centre which hit Kelly’s outstretched leg but it fell just wide of the goal.

Slightly against the run of play, Fleetwood Town took the lead on 67 minutes through Scougall. 

A ball into the box was not cut out and Scougall, who was in space, managed to slip the ball past Coleman to give the home side the lead.

Latics, however, responded well and forced chances to get back into the game.

Croft’s cross was deflected luckily into the path of Chris Maxwell and minutes later, Latics did have the ball in the back of the net but Main was adjudged to be offside as he swept home from close range.

The second talking point of the game came in the second half as Latics felt they should have had another penalty.

Connor Brown, who replaced J.Wilson, fired a shot into the box which seemed to hit a Fleetwood Town hand but the referee again waved no penalty.

Latics were putting all the pressure on their hosts and did manage to get the equaliser on 77 minutes through Kelly.

The midfielder forced the ball over the line from inside the penalty area to send the 1,400 Latics supporters into a state of ecstasy. 

Latics pushed and pushed for a winner but were being met by a stubborn and resolute defence.

They had to be wary of the counter attack as Fleetwood winger Grant hit an over head kick just wide of Coleman’s goal.

Holmes-Dennis had a free kick deep into additional time which he disappointingly fired over the head of everyone and Latics had to settle for a point.

Fleetwood Town: Maxwell, McLaughlin, Pond, Jordan, Bell, Jonsson, Ryan, Sarcevic, Grant, Burns, Scougall (Ball 85’).

Subs not used: Gogic, Forbes, Nilsson, Grant, Hunter, Cole.

Oldham Athletic: Coleman, J.Wilson (Brown 54’), B.Wilson, Gerrard, Holmes-Dennis, Dieng, Kelly, Dummigan, Forte (Cassidy 79’), Croft (Poleon 88’), Main.

Subs not used: Cornell, Mills, Edmundson, Tuohy.

Goals: Fleetwood Town (Scougall 67’) 1-1 Oldham Athletic (Kelly 77’)

Attendance: 3,889

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account