Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Youth Team Crowned Lancashire FA Professional Youth Cup Winners

26 April 2016

Oldham Athletic youth team have been crowned Lancashire FA Professional Youth Cup champions after a 3-0 victory over Blackpool in the final.

That’s the third cup victory in three years for Tony Philliskirk’s youth team.

Jake Hargreaves fired Latics into the lead just before the hour mark whilst a double from Brendy Glackin late on sealed the comfortable win. 

It was the young Latics who started the game strong and looked to force the early chances.

Glackin fired wide from 30 yards 15 seconds into the game whilst a minute later, Ryan Leonard’s shot was deflected into the arms of the goalkeeper. 

Latics were playing some neat football, and on five minutes Leonard again was denied from the edge of the box after a flowing move.

Athletic were taking the game to their opponents with Lee Knight and Kallum Mantack causing a threat down the right. 

The two combined to cross for Jake Hargreaves at the back post but the ball was just nicked away from him as he looked to strike on goal.

Rio Murray had the ball in the back of the net on seven minutes but the lineman’s flag denied the forward.

Blackpool started to come back into the game and looked neat in possession, especially in tight areas.

Midfielder James Doyle forced a save from Chris Renshaw but it would be Latics who again continued to press.

Two quick chances followed midway through the half as Knight volleyed wide whilst Hargreaves struck over the crossbar at the back post.

The Seasiders had their first real shot on goal on the half hour mark as Rowan Roache fired wide from 25 yards.

Athletic, who were being watched by John Sheridan, Peter Shirtliff and several first team players, finished the half strongly. 

Glackin forced an excellent save from Blackpool stopper Jack Simms as he tipped his shot from the edge of the area over the crossbar.

One minute later, the young Latics should have taken the lead but Leonard headed over from five yards out.

Alex Read received a booking before the break but the half time interval allowed Latics to regroup.

That they did as they started the second half on the front foot.

An inventive free kick routine saw Read poke the ball to central defender Dylan King to strike from 25 yards which went inches past the post.

Glackin was lively in attack and he forced Blackpool into some last ditch defending as his strike on 57 minutes was blocked on route to goal.

It did not take Latics long after to take the league as Hargreaves drilled home at the back post just before the hour mark.

Knight’s low cross found the onrushing Hargreaves at the far stick and he guided past the goalkeeper to give Athletic’s young guns the lead.

Latics should have extended their lead minutes later as Glackin was presented with a golden opportunity from six yards but the goalkeeper tipped his header past the post.

If any team was going to get the second it would be Latics as they looked comfortable, and dominant, in possession. 

They did double their lead 15 minutes before the full time whistle as Glackin capitalised on a defensive error and cooly slotted past the goalkeeper from 12 yards.

Latics would extend their lead further before the end of the game as Glackin grabbed his second of the game. 

Read’s perfectly-weighted through ball found Glackin, who had stole a march on his defender, and he confidently rolled the ball into the bottom corner to seal the game for Athletic. 

Oldham Athletic: Renshaw, Mantack, Stott, King, Middleton, Knight (Antoine 90’), Read, Leonard (Uche 84’), Hargreaves (Brown 88’), Murray, Glackin.

Subs not used: O’Neill, Lent.

Blackpool: Sims, Newton, Rochards, Cato (Rufus 75’), Wilson, N’Guessan, Doyle, Wainwright, Doyle, Pond (Jacobson 63’), Roache, Gregory (Badu-Agyman 57’).

Subs not used: Williams, Boney.

Goals: Oldham Athletic (Hargreaves 58’, Glackin 74’, 82’) 3-0 Blackpool

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account