Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Latics Beat Wigan To Progress To EFL Cup Round Two

9 August 2016

Club News

MATCH REPORT: Latics Beat Wigan To Progress To EFL Cup Round Two

9 August 2016

Oldham Athletic progressed through to the second round of the EFL Cup after a 2-1 victory over 10-man Wigan Athletic.

Ryan Flynn gave Latics the lead with a superb individual effort before Will Grigg equalised 10 minutes before the end of the first half.

Wigan were reduced to 10 men on the stroke of half time as Jake Buxton’s reckless challenge on Marc Klok forced the referee to send the defender off.

Steve Robinson’s men looked the likelier of the two sides to get the winner in the second half and up popped Josh Law to grab the winning goal with only seven minutes left to play.

Latics will find out their second round opponents on Wednesday, August 10 at 10pm. 

Robinson handed a full debut to academy graduate Kallum Mantack who lined up on the right hand side of a 4-5-1 formation.

It would be Wigan Athletic who shaded the early possession with Michael Jacobs going close with a free kick early on. 

Latics grew into the game and won a free kick on 13 minutes. Klok stood over the ball, crossed to the back post where Peter Clarke stood but it was diverted behind for a corner. 

Another Klok set piece followed as Latics were starting to push for an opening goal, but Cameron Burgess could not connect with his header.

On 17 minutes, it would be Latics who did take the lead through a superb individual goal from Flynn.

The midfielder picked up the ball halfway inside Wigan’s half, danced his way through the defence and slotted the ball into the far corner to give Latics the advantage.

Wigan responded well and had chances to equalise straight away.

Ryan Colclough tested the palms of goalkeeper Connor Ripley, whilst last ditch defending from Peter Clarke denied Jordan Flores a sight of goal. 

Just after the half hour mark, Wigan were level through striker Grigg. 

Flores’ corner into the box was not cleared properly and Grigg converted on the volley from close range to equalise for the Championship side.

Wigan almost took the lead minutes later as Max Power took aim from 25 yards but Ripley was equal to his curled effort.

Klok was booked on 40 minutes whilst five minutes later, Wigan were reduced to 10 men. 

Buxton’s reckless challenge on Klok earned him a straight red and Wigan found themselves a man down going into the half time break.

Latics tried to make their extra man count after the break and Klok’s free kick two minutes into the second half went inches over the crossbar.

The visitors could have taken the lead minutes later, however, as Colclough raced through on goal but he struck wide under pressure from Ripley. 

Lee Croft was introduced at the break and was straight into the action, crossing for Flynn but the midfielder struck over the bar from the edge of the box.

Striker Lee Erwin went close minutes later as he created space for himself but his deflected shot was into the palms of Jussi Jaaskelainen. 

The Leeds United loanee had a great opportunity to put Latics ahead for the second time in the game but headed straight at the goalkeeper from eight yards.

Latics continued their spell of pressure as Flynn raced down the left hand side, cut the ball back for Green but the midfielder could not find a way past the stubborn Wigan goalkeeper.

Ollie Banks was brought into the action and made an immediate impact, providing the cross for Clarke but the defender powered his header past the post. 

It was all Oldham doing the pushing for the winning goal with Flynn forcing a smart save from the Wigan stopper. 

There were some nervy moments for Athletic as Michael Jacobs was presented with a set piece opportunity from 25 yards but his free kick deflected over for a corner. 

Latics managed to clear the danger and on 83 minutes won the game through Law.

He played a one-two with Flynn, continued his run into the penalty box, received the ball and slotted past Jaaskelainen to give Latics the lead going into the final 10 minutes.

Wigan had a chance to equalise straight away but Latics threw bodies in the way and stood firm.

Athletic did see out the game comfortably towards the end, knocking the ball around with confidence which sealed them a place in the second round of the competition. 

Oldham Athletic: Ripley, Law, Burgess, Clarke, Wilson, Klok (Banks 61’), Fane, Green, Mantack (Croft 46’), Flynn, Erwin (Cassidy 87’). 

Subs not used: Kettings, Edmundson, Osei, McLaughlin.

Wigan Athletic: Jaaskelaininen, Buxton, Perkins, Daniels, Power, Grigg (Barrigan 70’), Flores, Jacobs, Chow (O’Brien 87’), Warnock, Colclough (Cosgrove 87’).

Subs not used: Bogdan, Hendry, Burke, Gregory

Goals: Oldham Athletic (Flynn 18’, Law 83’) 2-1 Wigan Athletic (Grigg 34’)

Attendance: 2,554

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account