Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Goalless Draw At Bloomfield Road

16 February 2016

Club News

MATCH REPORT: Goalless Draw At Bloomfield Road

16 February 2016

Oldham Athletic recorded their third clean sheet in a row but were held to a goalless draw at Bloomfield Road.

Debutant Curtis Main had Latics’ best chance in the final 15 minutes of the game but headed over from six yards after Danny Lafferty’s powerful effort was tipped into his path.

That result leaves Athletic still in 23rd position, five points adrift of safety, but with two games in hand on Chesterfield who occupy 20th position. 

John Sheridan made one change to Saturday’s starting 11 as Aaron Amadi-Holloway made his full debut replacing the injured Anthony Gerrard.

Latics started brightly as Carl Winchester, who started the game on the right, stung the palms of Blackpool goalkeeper Dean Lyness.

Whilst enjoying the early possession, it was the Seasiders that should have taken the lead on five minutes.

A cross into the box found the head of Jim McAlister at the back post and his header across was cleared off the line acrobatically by Burnley loanee Danny Lafferty.

That chance gave the home side confidence and two minutes later, Liam Kelly was forced into some last ditch defending as Mark Cullen raced through on goal.

In a hectic opening 10 minutes, it was Latics again which attacked and this time Winchester turned provider for Holloway but his header was blocked by defender Tom Aldred.

After a frantic start, the game started to settle down but Coleman had to be alert to tip over a Hayden White cross which creeped close to his goal.

Midway through the first half, Latics started to up the tempo once more and went close on two occasions. 

Firstly, Holloway released Jonathan Forte on the left hand side and the winger thundered an effort inches wide of Lyness’ goal. 

Three minutes later, it was the turn of Cameron Dummigan to go close as his deflected effort from 30 yards sailed inches over the goalkeeper’s crossbar.

As the hosts briefly went down to 10 men due to McAlister going off with blood on his shirt, Latics almost capitalised but Rhys Murphy’s shot was well held by the goalkeeper.

With five minutes of the first half remaining, Blackpool won a free kick in a dangerous area but Latics manage to clear and break.

Murphy raced down the left with the ball and crossed but Burton Albion loanee Matt Palmer could not get the ball down and the chance passed.

On the stroke of half time, Winchester again struck from distance, but his shot, which was on target, was saved by Lyness.

Latics started the second half much as they started the first as they took the game to the hosts Blackpool. 

Backed by vocal support from the incredible numbers which travelled to Bloomfield Road, they had their first effort of the half on 50 minutes.

Palmer’s teasing corner into the box was a good one but it somehow evaded everybody in the box as the chance passed. 

The Burton Albion loanee was causing Blackpool problems and minutes later, it was his cross again which almost caused the opening goal of the game.

What looked a cross which the goalkeeper would collect, Forte raced through but could not connect, and at the back post, Murphy was just inches away from connecting a yard from goal. 

Athletic were taking the game to their opponents and Sheridan made a double change, replacing Murphy and Holloway with Mike Jones and Curtis Main, who was making his debut.

The Doncaster loanee instantly made an impact but was tussled off the ball when going head to head with Blackpool defender Aldred.

Three minutes later, he had the perfect chance to win the game for Athletic as Lafferty’s effort was tipped into the path of Main but he headed over the crossbar from six yards.

The hosts rallied towards the end of the game, with substitute Martin Paterson going close on 78 minutes but Coleman saved well.

Both sides had chances in the final ten minutes but it was the hosts that could have won the game in the final minute but Paterson’s looping shot went wide of Coleman’s post.

Latics huffed and puffed for a winning goal but it ended honours even at Bloomfield Road.

Blackpool: Lyness, White, Aldred, Aimson, Robertson, McAlister, Potts, Norris (Herron 67’), Redshaw (Ikpeazu 85’), Philliskirk, Cullen (Paterson 64’).

Subs not used: Boney, Ferguson, Rivers, Yeates.

Oldham Athletic: Coleman, Dummigan, Wilson, Dieng, Lafferty, Kelly, Winchester, Palmer, Forte, Murphy (Jones 67’), Holloway (Main 67’).

Subs not used: Cornell, Mills, Croft, Cassidy, Edmundson.

Goals: Blackpool 0-0 Oldham Athletic

Attendance: TBC

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account