Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Latics Progress To Fourth Round Courtesy Of Penalty Shootout Win

12 January 2016

Club News

MATCH REPORT: Latics Progress To Fourth Round Courtesy Of Penalty Shootout Win

12 January 2016

Chris Renshaw was the hero as Oldham Athletic reached the fourth round of the FA Youth Cup with an 8-7 penalty victory over AFC Bournemouth after it ended 1-1 over 120 minutes.

Tommy Lent made it 8-7 to Latics on penalties and Renshaw saved Dan O’Sullivan’s penalty to win the game and progress to the fourth round to face Luton Town.

Ryan Leonard had put Athletic ahead midway through the first half before Sam Surridge equalised before the end of the half.

It was an energetic start to the game with Bournemouth shading the early possession stats, however, Tony Philliskirk’s men were not overawed by their Premier League opponents.

The Cherries were the first to have a shot on goal, but full back Ollie Harfield dragged his shot wide from the edge of the box.

Latics started to take a grip on the game and almost took the lead on the 10th minute through Rio Murray.

The striker let fire from 25 yards and the shot was too hot to handle for Bournemouth goalkeeper Callum Stanton. The ball slipped through his grasp, but he just recovered to claw the ball off the line and away from danger.

With Latics looking to kick on from that chance, they were almost caught on the break but Surridge’s strike from the edge of the box was comfortably held by goalkeeper Chris Renshaw.

Bournemouth were upping the tempo with strikes from Matt Worthington and Keelan O’Connell saved well by Renshaw, but it would be Latics that took the lead on 24 minutes.

A corner into the box was headed home at the front post by Leonard. The Bournemouth players claimed the ball did not go over the line but the officials were in agreement it did.

Two minutes later, the lively Surridge had the perfect opportunity to equalise for the Cherries as he was presented with a one-on-one chance but he scuffed his shot which was easy for Renshaw to collect.

Leonard, who was buoyed from his earlier goal, had two opportunities to extend the lead, firstly shooting over the crossbar from the edge of the box and then curling an effort wide of the post.

With Latics seeing out the half well, they were hit on the break through a freak goal. 

Kyle Taylor got to the byline and crossed into the box. It looked like Kallum Mantack would clear the danger but the ball his him, and the ball fell to an unmarked Surridge who poked home from two yards.

Into additional time in the first half, Mantack almost made up for his error, racing 50 yards of the field and playing through Murray but the ball just managed to get away from the striker.

Straight after the break, Latics showed their attacking intent as Mason Fallon weaved inside the penalty area but his shot deflected wide of Stanton’s post.

Bournemouth striker Surridge was causing a lot of problems for the Oldham defence and he should have capitalised on a chance on 57 minutes.

He took the ball around Renshaw but with the goal at his mercy he slipped and the chance passed him. 

Minutes later, the striker used his pace to outrun substitute Tommy Lent and he cut the ball back for Ethan Millar but he dragged his shot wide of the post.

It was Surridge again that was getting success on the left hand side, taking on Lent and with a sight of goal, shot wide.

Brendy Glackin was introduced into the action on 70 minutes and he almost made an instant impact but shot wide from the edge of the box.

Latics were taking the game to their Premier League counterparts with Knight proving to be a handful in the final minutes of the game. 

He was showing neat footwork on the right hand side, taking on his opponents but no player could get on the end of his teasing crosses.

It was nearly the winger that won the game for Latics as Fallon’s cross to the back post found Knight unmarked but he headed over the crossbar.

Deep into added on time, goalkeeper Renshaw had to be alert to tip Kyle Taylor’s powerful shot inside the box onto the crossbar and over the bar.

That signalled the end of the 90 minutes, and extra time would follow.

It would be a half of chances for both teams with Bournemouth starting the brighter of the two. 

Henry Lander’s effort was tipped wide of the goal by Renshaw two minutes into the half but Latics grew more and more as the game went on.

Alex Read forced Stanton into a good save as his free kick was tipped over the crossbar and from the resulting corner, Leonard nicked the ball wide of his goal.

Five minutes before the end of the first period of the extra time, Latics had the perfect opportunity to edge in front through Glackin.

The striker stole a march on his defender, raced through one-on-one with the goalkeeper but it was Stanton that came out on top, denying him from 12 yards. 

Latics started the second period much they ended the first, on the front foot.

Read was booked for a late challenge on a Cherries man, whilst Glackin was again denied with 10 minutes remaining after striking goalwards from just inside the box.

There were chances at both ends before the end of the game as Read fired over the crossbar and Surridge in the final minute of the game stung the palms of Renshaw as penalties loomed.

The referee blew the final whistle and the tie would be decided by penalties.

Glackin, Mantack, Knight, King, Read, Fallon, Leonard and Lent all dispatched their penalties and it was Renshaw that saved O’Sullivan’s penalty to win the game for Philliskirk’s men. 

Oldham Athletic: Renshaw, Mantack, Fallon, King, Middleton (Lent 59’), Read, Knight, Leonard, Murray, Kay (Glackin 71’), Hargreaves (Brown 94’).

Subs not used: O’Neill, Uche.

AFC Bournemouth: Stanton, Walker, Harfield, Jordan (Cordner 80’), Lander, Millar, O’Connell, Worthington, Surridge, Taylor (Kendall 103’), Neale (O’Sullivan 75’).

Subs not used: Stedman, York, Cooper, Young.

Goals: Oldham Athletic (Leonard 24’) 1-1 AFC Bournemouth (Surridge 43’)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account