Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Latics Fall To Pre-Season Defeat

23 July 2016

Club News

MATCH REPORT: Latics Fall To Pre-Season Defeat

23 July 2016

Oldham Athletic fell to a 1-0 defeat to National League North side AFC Fylde.

Former Blackpool defender Stephen Craigan scored the only goal of the game, converting a free kick from 20 yards minutes into the second half.

The game was a good work out for Steve Robinson’s men who continue to prepare for the new 2016/17 Sky Bet League One campaign.

In a quiet first half, it was Latics that dominated possession and had the better chances to take the lead.

The hosts had the first shot of the game on three minutes as Ritchie Baker struck from distance but Chris Kettings saved comfortably.

Lee Croft was proving to be a handful in the middle of the park and was involved in every Oldham Athletic attack.

The opening goal of the game nearly came on 13 minutes as Peter Clarke’s long field ball was headed by an AFC Fylde against Billy Mckay and the ball trickled past the goalkeeper but he just managed to recover and save. 

Latics were stroking the ball around with confidence with AFC Fylde struggling to get hold of the ball.

Midway through the half, Jake Cassidy met a Brian Wilson free kick into the box but his header fell just wide of the goal.

Latics were stepping up the pressure and on the half hour mark Croft struck from the edge of the box but his goal bound effort was blocked by Steve Williams.

Ollie Banks was the next to go close as neat play between Croft and Mckay on the edge of the box allowed the midfielder a sight of goal but the goalkeeper saved.

Athletic were forced into some defending at the end of the half as AFC Fylde forced a succession of corners but Clarke and Burgess stood their ground and defended well. 

Steve Robinson made three changes at half time as Carl Winchester, Lee Erwin and Josh Law came on as Latics continued in a 4-4-2 formation. 

It wasn’t the best start to the second half as AFC Fylde took the lead on 50 minutes.

Flynn handled the ball on the edge of the box and from 20 yards, Craigan fired into the top corner giving Kettings no chance. 

The home side started to grow in confidence after they took the lead and restricted Latics to shots from range.

Clarke had a header which went inches over the bar whilst a minute later, Mckay struck over after being surrounded by Fylde defenders.

Kallum Mantack was introduced into the game and instantly injected some pace into Latics. 

He won a free kick on 75 minutes but Lee Erwin stuck over the crossbar from 25 yards.

Two minutes later, Carl Winchester lined up a shot from distance which failed to trouble the AFC Fylde goalkeeper. 

Mantack was proving to be a handful on the right hand side and he skilfully beat his man and crossed into the box onto the head of Clarke but the goalkeeper saved.

Erwin had a chance in the final minute of the game as he met a 50-yard pass from Jamie Stott but his volleyed effort was well kept out by the AFC Fylde goalkeeper.

Oldham Athletic: Kettings, Wilson, Burgess (Edmundson 60’), Clarke (Stott 84’), Reckord (Law 46’), Klok (Woodland 60’), Flynn (Mantack 66’), Banks, Croft (Winchester 46’), Cassidy (Erwin 46’), Mckay (Glackin 77’).

Subs not used: Ripley, Brown.

AFC Fylde: Dieng, Tattum, Crainey, Langley, Williams, Baker, Hughes, Finley, Rowe, Dixon, Daniels.

Subs: Sampson, White, Phillips, Crosdale, Hardy, Blinkhorn, Hughes, Sumner, Wynne, Dudley. 

Goals: AFC Fylde (Crainey 50’) 1-0 Oldham Athletic

Attendance: 512

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account