Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Latics Lose To Manchester United In Manchester Senior Cup Quarter Final

7 March 2016

Club News

Latics Lose To Manchester United In Manchester Senior Cup Quarter Final

7 March 2016

Oldham Athletic bowed out of the Manchester Senior Cup at the quarter final stage after a 4-0 defeat against Manchester United.

Played at United’s Carrington training ground, Andreas Pereira and a double from Adnan Januzaj put the Red Devils 3-0 ahead at half time.

Despite a good second half from Athletic, Regan Poole added the fourth on 77 minutes to seal a comfortable victory for the Premier League giants. 

United started the game strongly and went close early on as Donald Love was denied by David Cornell from close range.

However, it did not take long for the Red Devils take the lead as Pereira capitalised on a mistake by Latics to give them the lead on 14 minutes.

Three minutes later, Januzaj doubled United’s lead as he turned on the edge of the box and curled into the far corner leaving Cornell with no chance.

Whilst Latics went close through Rhys Murphy, Cornell kept the score down with a string of impressive saves to keep Latics in the game.

On the half hour mark, he parried a Januzaj free kick into the path of Demitri Mitchell but got up quickly to deny the midfielder from close range.

Athletic rallied towards the end of the half and almost nicked a goal as Murphy’s flick on found the onrushing Jake Cassidy but goalkeeper Joel Pereira was quick off his line to save.

Joseph Mills was the next player to test the palms of the goalkeeper as his free kick was up and over the wall but well held by Joel Pereira.

However, Latics were hit with a sucker punch at the end of the half as Januzaj made it 3-0, tapping into an empty goal after good work from Love.

Athletic came out firing in the second half with Jack Tuohy and Murphy shooting over from the edge of the box.

The best chance of the game for Latics fell on 65 minutes as the United goalkeeper Joel Pereira presented Mills with a sight of goal but recovered to tip his shot from the edge of the box wide.

Latics were taking the game to their opponents but were caught on the break on 77 minutes as Poole made it 4-0.

Andreas Pereira’s corner found the central defender at the back post and his shot was adjudged to have crossed the line, despite Connor Brown’s best efforts.

Substitute Danny Byrnes almost pulled a goal back for Latics late on but was denied by the goalkeeper as United ran out comfortable winners.

Oldham Athletic: Cornell, B.Wilson, Vassell, Edmundson, Mills (Read 80’), Brown, Tuohy, Croft, Bove (Byrnes 55’), Cassidy (Eckersley 60’), Murphy.

Subs not used: Renshaw, Mantack

Manchester United: J. Pereira, El Fitouri, McNair, Poole, Riley; Love, McTominay (Reid 71’), A. Pereira, Rothwell (Kehinde 54’), Mitchell (Warren 56’), Januzaj. 

Subs not used: Henderson, Scott.

Goals: Oldham Athletic 0-4 Manchester United (Pereira 14’, Januzaj 17', 44', Poole 77')

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account