Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Athletic Progress To FA Youth Cup Second Round

1 November 2016

Club News

MATCH REPORT: Athletic Progress To FA Youth Cup Second Round

1 November 2016

Oldham Athletic progressed to the second round of the FA Youth Cup with a 2-0 victory over local rivals Bury.

Ronaldo Brown opened the scoring on 28 minutes, sweeping home at the back post before Latics had the chance to extend their lead from the penalty spot.

Brad Kay, who was upended, picked himself up to send the goalkeeper the wrong way to secure the win and send Latics into the second round of the competition. 

Tony Philliskirk was without three of his main players, Dylan King, Brendy Glackin and Ryan Leonard going into the game but Latics started the game brightly.

Athletic attacked from the first minute and the ball fell to Brown on the left-hand side who crossed into the centre but it was just cleared before it could get to Kay.

Bury did have the first shot of the game as Tsun Dai fired from the edge of the area but goalkeeper Callum O’Neill saved well with his legs.

Athletic did have a shout for a penalty on 15 minutes as Francois Antoine advanced beyond his man, went over under a challenge but the referee signalled no penalty.

Philliskirk’s side were in control of the game and almost found the breakthrough midway through the half as Festus Arthur’s long through ball found Kay in the box but the striker volleyed wide.

Not long after that, Latics did deservedly take the lead through Brown.

The left winger latched onto a long cross from full back Tom Hamer and he swept home at the back post to give Philliskirk’s side the lead.

Five minutes later and Athletic had the perfect opportunity to extend their lead from the penalty spot.

Kay was upended in the penalty area and he picked himself back up to send the goalkeeper the wrong way and make it 2-0 to Latics.

Athletic controlled the rest of the first half with Rory Middleton going close to adding a third but his effort from 25 yards went wide of Cameron McCulloch’s goal. 

Latics kicked off the second half the same as they finished the first and should have been three ahead.

Brown countered well from midfield, fed Chinedu Uche who took the ball beyond his man but McCulloch did well to save with his feet and tip the ball wide.

Philliskirk’s men did have to be wary of the counter attack, however, as Joseph Adams took the ball around Callum O’Neill in the Oldham Athletic goal but Tommy Lent was back on the line to clear.

Bury did start to get a grip on the game but were met by a resolute Oldham Athletic defence with Arthur and Lent solid.

Whilst the visitors had most of the ball, they were restricted to long range shots which did not trouble O’Neill.

Tsun Dai fired wide of left-hand post with less than 10 minutes remaining and Bury winger Adams almost forced a goal back with five minutes remaining but O’Neill again stood up to the test. 

Bury threw men forward in a bid to get something out of the game but Latics stood up to the test well and deservedly came away with the win which sees them into the second round of the competition. 

Oldham Athletic: O’Neill, Hamer, Fallon, Lent, Arthur, Middleton, Antoine, Uche, Whalley (Norman 70’), Kay, Brown.

Subs not used: Sheridan, Boyling, Norris, Scholes.

Bury: McCulloch, Nyaupembe, Best, Osgathorpe, Cooney, Bedeau, Turner, Styles, Harker, Dai, Arizie.

Subs: Mulgrew, Da-Silva, Lockett, Hatton, Adams.

Goals: Oldham Athletic (Brown 28’, Kay 33’) 2-0 Bury

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account