Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Latics Bow Out Of Carabao Cup

9 August 2017

Match Reports

MATCH REPORT: Latics Bow Out Of Carabao Cup

9 August 2017

Oldham Athletic bowed out of the Carabao Cup at the first round stage following defeat to Championship side Burton Albion.

After a goalless first half, Latics fell behind in the opening two minutes of the second half through Luke Varney.

Five minutes later and Latics were level. Paul Green's free kick equalised before Craig Davies converted a penalty kick to put Latics ahead.

Burton hit back immediately as Lund swept home to equalise for the visitors before they won a penalty with five minutes of the game remaining. 

Lucas Akins stepped up and sent Ben Wilson the wrong way to send the Brewers through to the second round of the competition. 

Manager John Sheridan made two changes to the side which was beaten by Oxford United on Saturday.

Coutney Duffus and Cameron Dummigan came in to replace Craig Davies and Ollie Banks.

It was the visitors who had the first shot of the game from 25 yards on six minutes as Hope Akpan's shot went wide of Wilson's goal. 

Wilson was again forced into action on 10 minutes as he saved low down to his left from Burton striker Varney. 

Burton dominated the opening stages of the game and Akpan again went close soon after as he forced Wilson to save one-handed.

Latics had their first opportunity of the game on 20 minutes as Connor Ripley's misplaced pass found Dummigan who attempted to lob the goalkepeer but it went over the crossbar. 

Sheridan's men came back into the game in the final 10 minutes of the half and looked the most likely to take the lead.

Ryan McLaughlin's darting run saw him feed Aaron Amadi-Holloway and he forced a good save from Ripley. 

From the resulting set piece, Green's corner found the head of Holloway but he glanced his header wide of the post.

Five minutes before the break came the best chance of the half as Anthony Gerrard's cross found the head of Holloway but Ripley pushed the goal-bound ball against the post.

Burton almost took the lead before the half time interval but Matt Palmer's free kick curled over the crossbar.

It didn't take long for Burton to take the lead after the break and it came from a mistake from Latics.

Fane's poor backpass was intercepted by Varney who picked up the loose ball, rounded the goalkeeper and slid the ball into the empty net to put the visitors ahead.

However, Latics were level six minutes later through fortuitous circumstances. A Green free kick from 30 yards, on the angle, decieved everyone, and found its way into the bottom corner past Ripley.

Both sides made changes with Davies coming on for Latics and Lund coming on for Burton and both made an impact for their sides.

On 67 minutes, Athletic won a penalty as McLaughlin raced into the penalty area and was tripped.

Davies stepped up and sent Ripley the wrong way to put Latics ahead, however, they were pegged back two minutes later.

Joe Sbarra got to the byline and cut the ball back for Lund to convert from close range to equalise.

Both sides were going for the win as substitute Tope Obadeyi forced a good save from Ripley, whilst five minutes before the end, Burton were awarded a penalty. 

McLaughlin was adjudged to have fouled his marker inside the penalty area and Akins stepped up to send Wilson the wrong way and win the game for the visitors. 

Latics did almost equalise in the final seconds of additional time but Peter Clarke's header was tipped onto the post by Ripley as Latics bow out of the competition. 

Oldham Athletic: Wilson, Wilson, Gerrard, Clarke, Hunt, Dummigan (Obadeyi 75'), Green, Fane (Fawns 90+2'), McLaughlin, Holloway, Duffus (Davies 55').

Subs not used: Banks, Edmundson, Stott.

Burton Albion: Ripley, Mousinho (Irvine 88'), McFadzean, Akins, McCrory, Naylor, Varney (Sordell 84'), Palmer, Akpan (Lund 60'), Fox, Sbarra.

Subs not used: Warnock, Murphy, Buxton, Campbell.

Goals: Oldham Athletic (Green 53', Davies 67') 2-3 Burton Albion (Varney 47', Lund 69', Akins 86')

Attendance: 2,176

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account