Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Latics Fall To Home Defeat

26 December 2017

Club News

MATCH REPORT: Latics Fall To Home Defeat

26 December 2017

Oldham Athletic suffered a Boxing Day defeat as they were beaten 1-2 by Fleetwood Town.

Devante Cole put the visitors ahead five minutes into the second half whilst Ashley Hunter doubled the lead on 67 minutes.

Latics continued to fight until the end and did manage to pull a goal back through Kean Bryan who curled in a superb free kick but it was not enough as Athletic came away from the game pointless.

Manager Richie Wellens made four changes to the side which lost against Plymouth Argyle last weekend.

Aaron Amadi-Holloway was one of those players who came back into the side and he created the first opportunity of the game.

He intercepted a loose Fleetwood pass and found Craig Davies on the edge of the box but his shot with the outside of his boot went over the crossbar.

Chances were few and far between for both teams but it was Latics who dictated a lot of the possession.

Jack Byrne and Dan Gardner had half chances as Latics struggled to create an opening in front of goal.

The only real chance Athletic had in the first half was in the final five minutes.

Kean Bryan intercepted a through ball and cleared towards Byrne. He found Holloway on the left who played a first time cross to Davies but the striker could not get a clean connection on his header and the chance was lost.

That was the best it got for both sides as it remained goalless at the break.

There was a change of referee at the break as Mark Heywood suffered an injury and he was replaced by the linesman.

Back on the pitch, Bryan tested the palms of Chris Neal with a long range effort, however, from the resulting attack, Fleetwood took the lead.

Markus Schwabl received the ball out wide and sent in a low cross which was converted in the middle by Cole.

Latics needed a response and almost found an equaliser on 57 minutes.

Davies used his strength on the edge of the box to hold off his man, he laid the ball back to Gardner to strike on the edge of the box but it fizzed agonisingly wide.

Latics would rue that missed chance as Fleetwood Town doubled their lead 10 minutes later.

Cole dispossessed Byrne and raced through on goal, he elected to cross to Hunter at the back post and he made no mistake to put the Cod Army two goals ahead.

Wellens brought on Ryan McLaughlin and Courtney Duffus and both made an impact.

On 80 minutes, Ashley Eastham was lucky to only come away with a booking after he cynically brought down Holloway 25 yards from goal.

Latics made their visitors pay as Bryan curled a beauty into the top corner to reduce the arrears and they went in search of a leveller.

Davies turned and shot but Chris Neal made the save whilst in additional time, Byrne was denied twice as Latics fell to defeat.

Oldham Athletic: Placide, Dummigan, Gerrard (Duffus 77’), Bryan, Hunt, Fane, Gardner (Nepomuceno 63’), Byrne, Obadeyi (McLaughlin 75’), Holloway, Davies.

Subs not used: Wilson, Clarke, Green, Flynn.

Fleetwood Town: Neal, Coyle, Bell, Eastham, Dempsey, Burns (Pond 81’), Bolger, Glendon, Hunter (Hiwula 87’), Schwabl, Cole.

Subs not used: Cairns, McAleny, Rodgers, Biggins, Sowerby.

Goals: Oldham Athletic (Bryan 82’) 1-2 Fleetwood Town (Cole 50’, Hunter 67’)

Attendance: 4,578 (209 visiting supporters)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account